I'm so stupid

antsman

Arachnosquire
While housing my new Grammostola spatulata I got today, 5" 8yrs old. She darted right to the top of the enclosure over the edge and fell off a 3 foot table. She was just out of reach. I have examined her over a few times and I don't see any injuries on the out side no abdomen breaks or broken legs. But I am very concerned of her internals it sounded like a hard hit. I feel so stupid, this should have been done on the floor, and now as a result of my stupidity she will probably die. I've read most generally falls of this nature are fatal?
After the fall she ran all over the floor searching for a place to hide, she had no problems running and climbing up the wall.
Generally how long will it take for me t see signs of internal injuries?
I feel like a bag of *&^#, I hurt this poor creature :(

Jeff23

Arachnolord
This is why we emphasize to do things on the floor (especially for us rookies). But we have ALL made mistakes and I hope your girl is still healthy.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
From what I've seen, many people see any effects of falls right after it happens and into the following hours. I reslly hope your girl is fine, it seems like it was healthy enough to run and climb after. That's a pretty good sign, at least :) At least now you know, and learning from the experience is a great tool. Any pics?

antsman

Arachnosquire
I post some pictures in a few hours when I get back home.
From what I've seen, many people see any effects of falls right after it happens and into the following hours. I reslly hope your girl is fine, it seems like it was healthy enough to run and climb after. That's a pretty good sign, at least :) At least now you know, and learning from the experience is a great tool. Any pics?
It's now been about four hours no odd behavior. She seems to be moving around a lot and with no trouble. I've looked her over several times and I don't see any injuries. No fluids leaking from anywhere, abdomen looks nice and plump no indents or anything. She crawled out of her jar on her own and was sitting by her hide when I got home. When I went to take the picture she came right out and seemed very aware.
Only time will tell but as of right now she seems okay.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's a very good thing that she's pretty skinny or you'd have a dead spider. Nothing wrong with mistakes so long as you learn from them. Do all of your maintenance on the floor in a wide open area - it makes catching escapees very easy and the risk of falls drops to zero.

antsman

Arachnosquire
Lesson learned in the worst possible way, I feel so bad. And after watching so many failed re-housings I should have known better.
On a positive note, I was walking by her enclosure and I seen her climbing over the fake plants and wondering around :)
I sure hope she is okay. I do have partial video of this mishap (not the fall but moments before) and me unboxing by GBB which went so much better.
I will be posting them to youtube once I edit so I can share my mistake with others. And share my review of Aracnophilacs.

antsman

Arachnosquire
It's now been 9 1/2 hours since she fell and still no bad signs. She is still looking good.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'm being cautiously optimistic for you. If she survives, the small abdomen really saved her life.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Honestly at this point its just a wait and see type of situation just keep a close eye on her but at the same time keep her comfortable and as stress free as possible. I give you much luck!

antsman

Arachnosquire
It's now been 24h since the fall and she is laying webbing down on the substrate and log. She has been all over her enclosure.
Still no signs of injury.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
If it's been 24 hours, it sounds like you're pretty much out of the woods. Great news!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
It's possible she's fine. My B. boehmei took a big fall once at the pet store she was in (I was there getting ready to take her home), she was climbing a wall, I was filling out paperwork and THWACK down she went. She laid still for about 30 seconds and it was the longest 30 seconds of my life.

The sound was horrible. She got back up and resumed climbing.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
She laid still for about 30 seconds and it was the longest 30 seconds of my life.
I think this is a common instinctual response, especially with slings. I've seen several spiders take a (harmless) fall only to lay on their back with legs curled for a short bit. Not sure what this is accomplishing, but it must be there for a reason for it to be so prominent.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I think this is a common instinctual response, especially with slings. I've seen several spiders take a (harmless) fall only to lay on their back with legs curled for a short bit. Not sure what this is accomplishing, but it must be there for a reason for it to be so prominent.
I had the same thought, maybe a reaction in case whatever caused them to fall was a predator - possibly a "play dead" response?

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
U probably lucked out. My biggest avic has fallen at least 7 times in the last three years. I've never dropped her, but she falls off the wall on occasion. I have no clue why, but she the only one that does this. She's in a big front loading tank, and has taken some scary tumbles right in front of me. Sometimes She's moving after a cricket, sometimes she just seems to slip. She's never seemed bothered, but does lay on the ground and regroup for awhile sometimes.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
U probably lucked out. My biggest avic has fallen at least 7 times in the last three years. I've never dropped her, but she falls off the wall on occasion. I have no clue why, but she the only one that does this. She's in a big front loading tank, and has taken some scary tumbles right in front of me. Sometimes She's moving after a cricket, sometimes she just seems to slip. She's never seemed bothered, but does lay on the ground and regroup for awhile sometimes.
When I first moved our Avic avic into a bigger enclosure from her cup, she of course decided to say "#&$@ you mom" and ignore all the plants and cork bark I set up for her and instead decided to make a web tube against the glass in the back corner. Watching her construct it was painful, she would literally slide down the glass and try to walk on webbing that wasn't strong enough and she probably fell a dozen times. Fortunately she figured it out :cool: