I'm so scared of DKS

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
I live in a one-room apartment with one T. I don't use chemical products myself, but I've been having family stay with me and they use several different hairsprays, perfumes, and some other stuff I don't even know. I've asked them to spray as far from the T as possible, and open the patio door, becuase the chemicals can make the spider really sick. But they aren't as sentimental about the T as I am, and sometimes they forget.
Every time I get a whiff of their mystery poison beauty products I get so worried about my T.
I feel terrible for letting my spider be exposed to chemicals I can hardly stand myself. But my fam was just doing their routine and didn't even consider the spider until I said something.
I'm gonna ban them from spraying inside altogether, I think. They can do it on the patio. It just makes me worry too much.
Anyway... am I just being paranoid?
Any experiences with Ts being exposed to beauty products for a few days? What happened?
Should I change the substrate after they leave to get rid of any toxins that might be stuck in there?
Any not-so-obvious behaviours I should watch for in the T that might indicate a health emergency?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I live in a one-room apartment with one T. I don't use chemical products myself, but I've been having family stay with me and they use several different hairsprays, perfumes, and some other stuff I don't even know. I've asked them to spray as far from the T as possible, and open the patio door, becuase the chemicals can make the spider really sick. But they aren't as sentimental about the T as I am, and sometimes they forget.
Every time I get a whiff of their mystery poison beauty products I get so worried about my T.
I feel terrible for letting my spider be exposed to chemicals I can hardly stand myself. But my fam was just doing their routine and didn't even consider the spider until I said something.
I'm gonna ban them from spraying inside altogether, I think. They can do it on the patio. It just makes me worry too much.
Any experiences with Ts being exposed to beauty products for a few days? What happened?
Should I change the substrate after they leave to get rid of any toxins that might be stuck in there?
Any not-so-obvious behaviours I should watch for in the T that might indicate a health emergency?
You are right to be concerned. They could definitely be a problem for the spider.

If you don't see any obvious symptoms, such as jerky or uncoordinated movements, then you should be okay.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, I would not risk it. I wouldn't be surprised if your spider already has been poisoned.
If you can't do anything about it, at least put a blanket on the cage and restrict the ventilation to nearly nothing, this will reduce the risk a little.

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
You are right to be concerned. They could definitely be a problem for the spider.

If you don't see any obvious symptoms, such as jerky or uncoordinated movements, then you should be okay.
Thanks for the advice. I'll be watching very carefully.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I'm gonna ban them from spraying inside altogether, I think.
that sounds wise, although -

They might think you are nuts for banning spraying because of the Ts, so you should tell them you'd banned the spraying just because you live in a single room, and because you don't want to have the smells linger.

You would ban cigarette smoke for the same reason, and what's better about this approach is that they can't call it unreasonable.

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I would not risk it. I wouldn't be surprised if your spider already has been poisoned.
If you can't do anything about it, at least put a blanket on the cage and restrict the ventilation to nearly nothing, this will reduce the risk a little.
Scary. I guess all I can do is watch for jerky movements. Definitely not gonna let them spray anything inside anymore. I'm trying not to be a jerk about it and ruin their visit but I'm actually really upset with them for using that crap in my house. ><

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
that sounds wise, although -

They might think you are nuts for banning spraying because of the Ts, so you should tell them you'd banned the spraying just because you live in a single room, and because you don't want to have the smells linger.

You would ban cigarette smoke for the same reason, and what's better about this approach is that they can't call it unreasonable.
Yeah, exactly. I mean, I don't like it either. But it's not gonna make me sick. They said they'll spray on the balcony from now on. Just hope the damage hasn't been done.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Unless the spraying was constant over a long period of time I would be willing to bet that your T will be okay. I think this because one time when I first started keeping I started to clean a rifle in the same room as I had my two T's in and gun cleaner has a STRONG chemical odor. About 10 minutes into cleaning the rifle I realized what a terrible idea it was and opened some windows to vent the area. Both of those T's were unaffected by the gun cleaner and have both molted.
I hope your tarantula has a long healthy life.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
If they use the stuff in the bathroom, then it really shouldn't be a problem. I live in a studio apartment with my Ts and scorps. I use cologne nearly every day. And I occassionally use spray cleaner in the kitchen, which is actually not far from where I keep my Ts. They're always fine.

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
Unless the spraying was constant over a long period of time I would be willing to bet that your T will be okay. I think this because one time when I first started keeping I started to clean a rifle in the same room as I had my two T's in and gun cleaner has a STRONG chemical odor. About 10 minutes into cleaning the rifle I realized what a terrible idea it was and opened some windows to vent the area. Both of those T's were unaffected by the gun cleaner and have both molted.
I hope your tarantula has a long healthy life.
That's good to hear! It's just been the last couple days. Lots of spraying in the morning, but I aired out the place well after. I'm sure there are Ts out there who have survived worse, but it would be hard to watch my T go through it if it got poisoned even a little.
Thanks for the good news! :)

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
I don't mean to hijack the thread but my parents have a cleaning lady come to the house every two weeks and she uses chemicals and polishes. They said they got something "all natural" with "no chemicals" called Meyers to clean my bathroom but I'm still worried. My inverts are in a storage closet with an open door being the only ventilation, a few yards away from the bathroom which is kept closed at all times. What can I do here??

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Your doing the sensible thing, asking them to spray poisins outside, they are detrimental to the spiders health and in doing so you are looking after the interests of the T in question, good for you!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I don't mean to hijack the thread but my parents have a cleaning lady come to the house every two weeks and she uses chemicals and polishes. They said they got something "all natural" with "no chemicals" called Meyers to clean my bathroom but I'm still worried. My inverts are in a storage closet with an open door being the only ventilation, a few yards away from the bathroom which is kept closed at all times. What can I do here??
Ask the cleaner not to use chemicals, just a damp cloth would suffice, you could always do it yourself, that way you'll know there's nothing in the air that can harm your much beloved tarantulas, vinegar and water makes a great cleaning agent, rather than store bought cleaning products. Generic soda makes agreat cleaning agent for the toilet as well, hope these ideas help and good luck with the cleaning lady...lol

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Ask the cleaner not to use chemicals, just a damp cloth would suffice, you could always do it yourself, that way you'll know there's nothing in the air that can harm your much beloved tarantulas, vinegar and water makes a great cleaning agent, rather than store bought cleaning products. Generic soda makes agreat cleaning agent for the toilet as well, hope these ideas help and good luck with the cleaning lady...lol
Thank you! If she used some in my bathroom, when can I consider the bathroom invert safe again??