Im ready for criticism-(I am pretty sure I heard my Female B.Boehmi stridulate

Derrick

Arachnopeon
I dont know if I should call it stridulation or not but I heard a raspy sound when it kicks hairs. My female works her palps up and down alternating with her hair kicking legs. Does anybody elses Boehmi do this? It is a faint sound but I heard it multiple times and every time she kicked hairs I heard it. I have good hearing of a broad range of pitches. Its faint enough that you probably need to turn off all noises and listen closely. I would like to see if others will hear it too. Call me crazy if you want but I know what I heard. I just dont know if it would be considered stridulation. Everyone who has Brachy Boehmis, check and see if I may be right or wrong. I made sure to hear it several times before posting on the boards. I dont want to be criticised for only hearing it once and posting in a hurry before being sure of what I heard. For all of you that are ready to criticise....I HEARD IT. Now its time for others to try. It would be really neat to have a bunch of people with Boehmis to respond with their findings. I hope Im not the only one to hear it. Again.....its faint, raspy and high pitched. You probably need to hear high pitches well to make it out. It is fairly faint.:? :? :?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No you did hear a noise. I cant say the T trying to stridulate though. I do hear that from time to time with Ts that are not known for stridulation. I think it might just be the quick defensive movement made with the chelicerae also usually followed by display of the fangs or some vertical movement of the fangs in a defensive manner. Where as Ts that do stridulate have special hairs inbetween the chelicerae specifically to make that sound louder to serve as a defensive/agressive warning to predators.
Heck I dont know...... But I do know I have heard what you are talking about.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hear a rustling hissing sound from my Nhandu as well. It comes from the back legs brushing against the abdomen--though not in a flicking hairs way. Simply walking with its back legs brushing the abdomen produces this sound. I'm wondering if the spines on her back legs are causing this, acting like rakers against her abdominal hair?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, no criticism, but it could be that you heard a noise, but that is wasn't exactly stridulating. B. boehmei (at least mine) are very spazzy bugs that kick for almost no reason at all and really get into it. My male was freshly moulted and in the act of trying to move his tank to get pictures he kicked a bald spot into his butt. I'm sure you heard something, but I'm not sure if it is technically called stridulation.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, you heard something, but it's not exactly stridulation. it sounds quite similar, though, my brachypelma annitha does it every time i come near her during maintainance. and she's quite loud, you can perfectly hear it even when there is background noise.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's possible that you heard the tarantulas leg spines rubbing against the abdomen as she kicked hairs at you but, IIRC, Brachypelma, as well as many other new world species, possess plumose setae on either the coxa or trochanter of some of their legs. When these feather-like setae rub against each other they can produce a velcro-like sound that, to my way of thinking, could be called stridulation. So, in other words, yes, you could have heard stridulation.

Derrick

Arachnopeon
If its not stridulation then what is it considered? She does it in defense so why isnt it stridulation. Does anyone have the exact definition of stridulation as it pertains to tarantulas? Why would it be called something else when its the same actions just possibly coming from their abdomen instead of palps? Why would my female work her palps with her legs when she kicks hairs if the sound is not coming from the palps?:?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think the term stridulation is reserved for sound produced by the specialized setae some tarantulas have developed. The leg spines that NW tarantulas have can produce some sound when the spider is kicking hair but it's not really termed stridulation. Kind of like saying someone who is just mumbling gibberish isn't really talking even though they're producing sound from their mouth... Sort of. I don't really know if that's an accurate comparison.

Your spider working her palps along with her legs could be her stridulation action. Brachypelma have plumose setae on the trochanter and lower surface of femur I. I imagine that when they feel threatened they rub these setae against each other to stridulate. You can read about that and some other stuff here

Do you have a P. murinus (or any other Pterinochilus sp.)? If so check out how they move their chelicerae and palps when they're annoyed. The stridulating organ is different in Pterinochilus but it's kind of the same principle.

EDIT: After rereading my previous post and your last post I realized how you were confused by me saying the sound "could be called stridulation". I should have said it is stridulation....not "could be called". My bad.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There was a discovery channel special a few years back about Ts. They mentioned some Ts rubbing their palps against their checlicerae to produce a raspy, velcro-like sound as a defensive measure.

Derrick

Arachnopeon
There was a discovery channel special a few years back about Ts. They mentioned some Ts rubbing their palps against their checlicerae to produce a raspy, velcro-like sound as a defensive measure.
Im not well educated about stridulation but thats what I thought it was.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i have a book and it says b/ auratum can stridulate slightly if thats any help ? %%% phil

Derrick

Arachnopeon
I "think" its stridulation then. At least very faint...kinda like fine grit sand paper rubbing together. I realize I still may be wrong.;P My female B. Boehmi does it EVERY time she gets defensive and kicks hairs. She moves her palps EVERY time alternating with her hair kicking feet. So it makes sense to me that it would be stridulation.;P :?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I "think" its stridulation then.
Its not. Get a blondi and you will hear the difference.
The quick defensive hiss can be any combo of things moving at the time when you spook it. But its not stridulation.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Its not. Get a blondi and you will hear the difference.
The quick defensive hiss can be any combo of things moving at the time when you spook it. But its not stridulation.
Hi
Now what you need (sorry need is not the word could I think is better?) to do is read again what David F put in his post as believe it or not it is true!:eek:
All you have done is claim it is not based on the fact that in T.blondi the stridulation is a lot more audible. Just because you can not hear it so well or even at all, it does not mean that they can't stridulat after all if they have the setae then they have the means.;) Human ears are not the best ears at the best of times.:8o
all the best
Chris

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I think the term stridulation is reserved for sound produced by the specialized setae some tarantulas have developed. The leg spines that NW tarantulas have can produce some sound when the spider is kicking hair but it's not really termed stridulation. Kind of like saying someone who is just mumbling gibberish isn't really talking even though they're producing sound from their mouth... Sort of. I don't really know if that's an accurate comparison.
That explains it pretty well I think. Better then my 'arm-pit noise' analogy.:)

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi
Now what you need (sorry need is not the word could I think is better?) to do is read again what David F put in his post as believe it or not it is true!:eek:
All you have done is claim it is not based on the fact that in T.blondi the stridulation is a lot more audible. Just because you can not hear it so well or even at all, it does not mean that they can't stridulat after all if they have the setae then they have the means.;) Human ears are not the best ears at the best of times.:8o
all the best
Chris
My very first post said basically what david said....... back on page one all the way at the top. Minus the mumbling gibberish compairson. I just threw T. Blondi out there because it was the first one I could think of.
Yes they have setae but it was my understanding that Ts that are known for it have special inhanced setae.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes they have setae but it was my understanding that Ts that are known for it have special inhanced setae.
What would you call plumose setae? :confused:

Plumose setae, to my knowledge, are specially modified setae used for stridulation. This type of setae isn't nearly as modified as, say, the lyra in the Selenocosmiinae but it's still modified setae, nonetheless.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What would you call plumose setae? :confused:

Plumose setae, to my knowledge, are specially modified setae used for stridulation. This type of setae isn't nearly as modified as, say, the lyra in the Selenocosmiinae but it's still modified setae, nonetheless.
Yes thank you for filling in the blank, cause I was having a blank lol (its been that kind of work day). Thats my word of the day. Not that anyone here at work is going to know what it means its still my word of the day. Plumose. Its got a ring to it. :D

Derrick

Arachnopeon
Well....Im leaning towards it not being stridulation............ but Im not 100% convinced yet. :? :D