I'm questioning my setup

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Im starting to wonder if my T setul has enough ventilation. There are 16 good sized ventilation holes and 4 smaller ones in this enclosure (so 20 total). I'm questioning whether that's enough ventilation. Basically all the ventilation holes are on 2 sides of the enclosure, but they are towards the top, bottom, front and back. The pics will show what I'm talking about. Because there aren't any on the actual top or back, I'm wondering if I should put some there?

Also I fear that her enclosure is too big and she hides all the time in her log maybe because of this. It's probably not wise though to switch her to a smaller enclosure though, right? Too much stress on her to move about too often?

I think I've had her 3 weeks now and she seems to be doing well. She hasn't shown any signs of stress and she eats well. I just want her to be healthy and happy as all T mamas and dads want for their little Ts.

I did post her enclosure somewhere before and nobody mentioned adding more ventilation. I'm just questioning this probably for no reason, but I just want to be extra sure that it's an adequate setup because I keep reading avic horror stories.

My T is a suspected female avic avic with a 2.5 ish legspan.

Attachments

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
More plants. They like it crowded. Makes a lot of points in which to make web. And it's probably just me, but I'd add a lot more ventilation circling the container, not on the lid. Remember everybody advised cross ventilation;). Tag viper69 or cold blood. They'll help you better.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
More plants. They like it crowded. Makes a lot of points in which to make web. And it's probably just me, but I'd add a lot more ventilation circling the container, not on the lid. Remember everybody advised cross ventilation;). Tag viper69 or cold blood. They'll help you better.
Thanks! I keep wanting to get more plants and maybe hot glue them in or stick them through holes. It's on my agenda for tomorrow. I will definitely add in some more ventilation holes, but I think I will go with smaller holes than what I have already. I'll put some towards the top and on the back of the enclosure.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
People did tell me before to get more plants. Is there a good place to get them other than pet stores? Like maybe a good online website? I prefer to shop online, but with stuff like this I like to go with a recommendation. I'd hate to end up with something that could harm my T.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thanks! I keep wanting to get more plants and maybe hot glue them in or stick them through holes. It's on my agenda for tomorrow. I will definitely add in some more ventilation holes, but I think I will go with smaller holes than what I have already. I'll put some towards the top and on the back of the enclosure.
Yeah I made smaller holes.
And when I say hot glue is hot it is. I used it to glue the plants on the corkbark in my Avic's cage (A. avicularia) First time I used it. Yeeeow!! :hurting:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
People did tell me before to get more plants. Is there a good place to get them other than pet stores? Like maybe a good online website? I prefer to shop online, but with stuff like this I like to go with a recommendation. I'd hate to end up with something that could harm my T.
I went in to the lps and got exoterra plastic plants. You can also buy zoomed. For me it's easier to mosey 3 blocks to the lps than go online. I hear Amazon's selling T stuff.

cold blood

Staff member
I think that looks fine, i wouldnt be worried about the ventilation. A few more plants could always be added, especially considering the smaller size of yours. Lots of cover to web tunnels through will help acclimation.

cold blood

Staff member
I get zoo med plants at a big pet store for 4-5 bucks....and i just cut or pull them apart as needed. One clump can go a long way with slings.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Fake plants are cheaper at craft stores. Just make sure you wash them before using them, as they may have lubricants (or other things) left over from the manufacturing process.

cold blood

Staff member
Fake plants are cheaper at craft stores. Just make sure you wash them before using them, as they may have lubricants (or other things) left over from the manufacturing process.
True, and i use them occassionly, but beware, they often have dyes and perfumes, so just washing them isnt even close enough IMO. I soak them for weeks, changing water daily, and for the first week or two, theres a soapy film on the water. I use them at times, but it takes a long time soaking and cleaning before im comfortable actually using them.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
For me it's easier to mosey 3 blocks to the lps than go online. I hear Amazon's selling T stuff.
I'm opposite, but mostly because the people in the stores and lines irritate me. Don't let this comment fool you, I'm not completely reclusive. ;) I like to shop around and that's hard to do unless I go to like 4 stores, so I do 90% of my shopping online.

A few more plants could always be added, especially considering the smaller size of yours. Lots of cover to web tunnels through will help acclimation.
I'm hoping she webs the place up really nice. So far she has only webbed inside her log. I'm thinking it's because she's still getting acclimated and she needs more anchor points.
Good to know. I'm always down for cheap ways to do things.

True, and i use them occassionly, but beware, they often have dyes and perfumes, so just washing them isnt even close enough IMO. I soak them for weeks, changing water daily, and for the first week or two, theres a soapy film on the water. I use them at times, but it takes a long time soaking and cleaning before im comfortable actually using them.
Haha, yikes! Maybe I'll get some ready to go ones and then get some that I can prepare like this for future use.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Haha, yikes! Maybe I'll get some ready to go ones and then get some that I can prepare like this for future use.
TBF, I would also wash any of the "ready-to-go" plants before use. (They're probably made in some of the same factories that make the craft plants.)

Basically, I pre-wash anything that is washable: enclosures, water dishes, and hides (not made out of a porous material).

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
TBF, I would also wash any of the "ready-to-go" plants before use. (They're probably made in some of the same factories that make the craft plants.)
Also good to know. I don't think I washed my other ones before putting them in, but you make a good solid point here. I only have plastic ones though. I havent gotten any silk ones yet. Do you prefer silk or plastic?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Also good to know. I don't think I washed my other ones before putting them in, but you make a good solid point here. I only have plastic ones though. I havent gotten any silk ones yet. Do you prefer silk or plastic?
I don't have a strong preference; both seem to work fine. I have heard some people say they prefer plastic due to dyes that may be in the silk. (Not that plastic is necessarily free of dyes.)

The main reason I pre-wash is that there are often lubricants used during the manufacturing process (e.g., when removing objects from molds) that may not have been washed off. I don't know if these are harmful to Ts, but why take a chance?

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
As a lot of people already wrote the only thing that you might want to improve are a few more anchor points for webs. You can improve ventilation but imo for avics you just have to find the balance between ventilation and moisture and you will be fine. People that stress excessive ventilation with avics are usually the once who dump a gallon of water in their enclosures every day.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to get more anchor points and post pics, hopefully tomorrow. I put a huge water dish in there and keep the substrate dry except a small area around the water dish where I have overflowed the water dish.

Kennyg

Arachnopeon
Im glad i saw this thread as well now , i just ordered myself a A. versicolor sling this morning. couple helpful tips to keep in mind :D

but your ventilation looks pretty good from what ive read about them :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Like CB said it wouldn't hurt to have a little more clutter. Given that, I think your Avics enclosure is fine. She is staying in the log so much because it is a nice safe place for her to hide. My Avics make web tunnels (I've not given them cork tube before) and do the same thing. They sit in the heavy web funnel till they have to come out. Usually it's for food or water then they go back in. I imagine if you sneak into the room late at night you'll eventually see her out exploring an putting out some web.

I put a huge water dish in there and keep the substrate dry except a small area around the water dish where I have overflowed the water dish.
I would just fill the dish and not over fill it. They will go down to drink and IME Avics don't need the extra moisture.

Good luck.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Im glad i saw this thread as well now , i just ordered myself a A. versicolor sling this morning. couple helpful tips to keep in mind :D
I think husbandry for slings is a little different, but I've never cared for any slings yet.