I'm picking up a 4in. B. smithi for $50(Craigslist)

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've been looking on Craigslist since I joined this sight looking for T's. Tomorrow will be the first time I pick one up. The ad was for $75 so I offered $50 and they accepted. Score!!!{D Even if it's a male I'm happy with this deal. I've got a mature female that's early in her molt cycle. So, regardless of sex I'll be satisfied. Actually, if it's male I'll low ball a little more to see what I can work out. I just wanted to share.:D

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
males a have one third the lifespan of a female , some females live up to 20 even 30 years ive read most males die within 1 to 6 years depending on the species

Arthropod

Arachnopeon
You must be thinking of wild males, captive males can live as long as females.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can I ask where you got that information? Link maybe?

*Edit*

Just wanted to add.. No matter where you got that information.. Its wrong..

No wild nor captive male tarantula can live as long as a female.. Once they mature.. They have short time before their time expires.. Three months to at the most a year.. I have however heard of a couple MM G. rosea living 2 years after they have matured.. But that is still no where near as long as a female..

I found my information right here on AB.. If you are interested in using the search function you will find the information I am offering is in fact correct..

*Edit #2*

Congrats on the find Phil... Pictures are a must when you get him/her.. :)

Last edited:

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been keeping an eye out on CL for a few weeks and nothing's come up as of yet. Would be pretty cool to find a really good deal on a T and actually have the money for it.

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is just wrong. :cool:

Congrats on the find, I love finding good deals for Ts on craigslist! My most recent one was a 3.5-4" female Avicularia versicolor for $45 :)

Last edited:

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just got home with the GORGEOUS female!!:} She is way bigger than 4 inches. I'm going to get a measurement and take some pics in the next couple of hours. We've been running errands all over town and I want to relax a bit. Now I'm going to be checking Craigslist even more. The kid was selling her b/c of the U-hairs. It sounded like he had terrible reactions to them. I held her when we took her out of her cage and she's a sweetheart. I was considering buying and selling her, but now I don't know if I can do it. Also, my girlfriend had named my B. smithi Fluffy. This one is named Fuzzy. {D

I'll definitely get some pics up to share.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pics!!!

Here's what everyone has been waiting for!!:drool:

This is a $50 Brachypelma smithi:rolleyes:

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She is very beautiful!! I wish I could find a deal like that.
I also got a deal on a smithi a while back. Mine is male though, well, 99% sure, but I'll be sending the fella out when he reaches his maturing molt. I sure wish I had a female to pair him with when the time comes. :rolleyes:

Very nice pictures too.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Congratulations - that a beautiful T! I've had three very good Craigslist adoptions. The first actually turned into getting five Ts in total from the young man. The second was my big G. rosea named Athena. The third was my 7-legged LP. Craigslist seems to be hit or miss. I got both my pups off there as well, but when we tried to get rid of a big copy machine... all miss. I check CL every other day or three times a week. I hope I'll be able to fine more good deals - wishful thinking to find one as nice as what you have there!

Marga

k2power

Arachnoknight
I have also gotten a 50 dollar B. smithi, 50 dollar B. emilia, and 40 dollar L. parahybana all off Craigslist within a month this fall. I often search in my city and within cities less than 2 hours drive away. It may also be a good idea to search hard after Christmas or local reptile shows to find animals that were bought and then decided to be parted with. I turned down a large pink toe, rose hair, 10 gallon tank and Eco-terra tank for 30 total because I had spent 100 on the two Brachypelmas and their cages (one was an Eco-terra).

Yes very good deals can be found on Craigslist but it takes consistent looking and quick decisions. There was already someone interested in the Brachypelmas so I couldn't haggle on them but got the Lasiodora 15 bucks cheaper than advertised. All are eating and seem very healthy. I just need the B. emilia to molt to rid it of the bald butt.