I'm on my way!

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cant believe I got my wife to crack!!! She just has some stupid candle party and I told her that if she let me get another T she could get whatever she wanted.

I was expecting her her to tell me to take a long walk off a short pier but to my surprise she said ok!!! :D

I am leaving as soon as I post this to go and pick a A versicolor from a pet shop near my house.

I just got a digital camera so I will post picks when I get home.

Talk to you later!

-Charlie

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool. Its amazing how money and permission go hand in hand with women!

BD

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
ahahahaa!!!! Well, sounds like you have learned the art of negotiation ;)
well done! You'll just love the versi, and even your wife will have to admit how cute and fuzzy wuzzy it is!

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got it!

I got back from the pet store and I have her! This is my first arborial T so any advice would be great.

I know that I said I would post some pic tonight but I just got my aunts camera and I forgot to get the software for it so I am going to have to get the software and post the pics tommorow.

Turns out that it is a very small T. I thought it was bigger than it is. I think its a juve.

Once again this is my first Arborial so any advice would be great.

Thanks,

-Charlie

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Heh, just wait till your wife brings home that 5 foot high candle that smells like the most potent orange-rasberry-sage-garlic nightmare you've ever seen :)

Congrats on negotiating with the female species, anyways.

Bill

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A Versicolor?

Ok, I have seen in the gallery here that there is the Avicularia Avicularia and the Avicularia Versicolor. They both look pretty much the same to me from the pics in the caresheets section here anyway.

So my question is what's the difference? So far its looking like mine is a juvenile A. Avicularia but I could be wrong.

Oh yeah and Conipto,

I think that in the past 5 years of marriage to Mrs. Charlie there is not a candle scent on this planet that I have not been exposed too. My wife is a candle freak!!! Although some of them are not that bad there are others that reek so bad I would purposely fart to try and cover up the smell of there burning.

Oh well, I better load up on beans cause this last candle party was a biggie. But I got a way cool T out of the deal so I'm happy!

-Charlie

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
versicolors are very colorful. they have metallic green. As for the a. avicularia i think its on the darker side (plz correct me if im wrong)

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A. Versicolor = No pink toes. A. Avicularia = Pink toes

I'm pretty sure Versi's have pink toes at younger ages, though.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I am no taxonomist, but here's what I understand the difference to be, from a hobbiest point of view:

The versicolor gets it's name from the way it changes through adulthood. As spiderlings, they start out an electric blue, and as time progresses, and more molts happen, eventually they wind up with a multi-color pattern on them that is quite striking. (reddish abdomen, purplish legs, bright green-black carapace) In care, they are pretty similar. The A. avicularia, as a spiderling looks much like any other spiderling -translucentish legs, black body, etc. As they mature, most of them develop noticably pink toes, and they have a fairly uniform color to them. Some pictures I've seen some are more colorful than others. IS there a possibility of obtaining a photo Of your avic?

Bill

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, the A versicolor when small is ELECTRIC blue, no mistaking them for something else up to about 2.5" or so (anyone think that's correct?). After that, the carapace becomes a brilliant green, and the electric blue starts to fade to a greenish color. Then, with the adult colors, you've got green red, and plum...very very striking!
The A avicularia, OTOH, is pink, with black feet as a sling. Eventually, the majority of it's body is black, or a dark dark coloration, and it has pink toes.
Let me know if you want to see pics, I have both