I'm new to this whole thing...

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
okay, i just have a quick ? here... I was curious what T's are the most colorful yet docile.... most of the really flashy T's I've seen have been really agressive, and I kinda like to let them walk on my hands.... without getting pumped full of venom..

if anyone could help?

-Joshua

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aviculara versicolor are beautiful and docile, but sometimes a bit skittish. Being arboreal, if they get away from you they can be a bit difficult to catch. As far as aggressiveness goes, if you can curb your appetite to hold them, you'll open the door to quite a variety of interesting T's.

Botar

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know i know, but i'm just sstarting out and have that whole i'm so fascinated I have to to touch syndrome.... so docile is better for me right now,

I know i'll eventually end up with something nice and pretty, yet psychotic like an H lividum, but for now, tame... definately tame...

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I'd echo Botar's suggestion, get a young A. versicolor. They are very colorful, and FAST when they are little. Also usually very docile. One of those might help you build experience with flighty tarantulas, though you'll still get that handling thing covered.

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The two genera that match what you want are Avicularia and Brachypelma. I would recommend some sort of Brachypelma species over an Avicularia because you will see it more and have easier access to the T if you want to handle or just touch it. Avics tend to be on the secretive side in their tube webs.

Some of the more colorful are B. boehmi, B. emilia, B. klaasi, B. ruhnaui, and B. smithi. Smithis are common as juveniles and a great species. The common pinktoe, A. avicularia, is also a nice looker and commonly available and inexpensive, and the A. versicolor is a great T as well. Additionally, A. metallica is similarly docile and hardy as well as being a looker.

Last edited:

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would recommend G.rosea that was my first. most are docile and after a molt they have a beutyful red sheen on the carpes.. anyway welcome to the obsession .. =D

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Howdy howdy Inuleki and welcome.
I'd have to echo the other's on this.
Avicularia and Brachypelma, we have three, Brachypelma and three Avicularia. And my five year olds handle them.
(Carefuly supervised at all times of course I Do Not and will not suggest to anyone that they allow small children handle T's.)
The twins tok their aunt Ellie and turn her into a T lover. yesterday Aunt Ellie perchased her first. A young Versicolor just the the twins little one they named Xenix.
She has been to our house and has practiced with Our T's and was ready to get her own.

We started out as many do with two Rosies.

Those are pretty sweet two.

Just remember to be calm and gentle. Read read read.
You Cannot do Too much research on the subject before you buy.
There is just no such thing as over educating yourself on the subject.

:)

It's a Wonderful facinating hobby that is Very Very adictive.

Good luck and tell us what you decide on. :)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well...maybe a little desent on my part (very little though). Yes, Brachys and Avics, are both gorgeous genuses of tarantula. And in general, they are both on the quite docile side. However, like Botar said, they are skittish. They love to jump and are great runners. If you aren't so used to holding spiders, it might be extremely unnerving to have a huge spider jumping at you, or running up toward your head. You don't want to freak out, and have the spider going crashing toward the ground.

So, I think that the Brachys should be reccommended over the Avics in this situation.

Jon

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
=D

Yeah Big Dragonfly is right. Avics tend to wiggle back their rears like cats and jump. I was amazed, startled and amused when I witnessed my first avic jump. But the little darling was just under an inch all told so it wasn't a potentialy frightening experience for myself or the twins. There Were alot of giggles.
Avics Can Be fast. And a falling T can be a dead T quick when it hits the floor.

We don't handle standing.
I have a big blanket I spread out on the floor just for this. It's thick and afords a little padding in case of a fall.
And since we sit on it and keep the T's low, falls are limited to an inch or two.
Luckely we haven't Had a fall yet.
We Have had sprints.
Both up the body and across the blanket.
Both can get the blood pumping when those suckers take off.

And though Sprocket, our B. Smithi can put on a bit of speed when she wants too.
She can't Zip as fast as any of the avics.

Just do all your homework and Know what your getting, what it needs, and what to expect.

Ok, nuff of my nattering.