I'm looking to find a more vibrant colored tarantula.

destinieshenell

Arachnopeon
I have one tarantula right now and she's a Rose hair.
She's mostly brown in color. I would love to get a different species and being an actual collection.
I'm new at all of this though, and I would really love to have a brightly colored tarantula.
Can anyone give me any ideas on docile but colorful tarantulas?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
most anything Avicularia fits the docile and colorful :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
like above stated avicularia is a good start, and i will add brachypelma if you like the contrast of black and nice vibrant red. i dont own any avics, but i do own brachys and i've yet to get a threat pose, just a bit of hair kicking from my boehemi, which is a common occurance.

but honestly, i wouldn't limit yourself to just those two, i would peruse the galleries and see if you find something you like, and then do the footwork and decide if you are ready for that particular tarantula. :D

Last edited:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Destinieshenell, Why not try an Acanthoscurria geniculata or Brachypelma boehmei. paul@petshop has genics for 12. I saw another recent add (can't remember now) with boehmei for 15. Paul has excellent animals.

Good luck,

Terry

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds to me like you are talking Brachypelma. Try B smithi, or B emilia. B boemei is nice and very vibrant, but mine flicks a lot of hair. These all have the red/black contrast.

Another real nice T that is cheaper and real nice is A seemani blue color form. Surprisingly nice looking. And for black/white vibrancy there is A geniculata as was mentioned above.

G pulchripes is interesting to look at, large, and about as docile as they come. And often reasonably priced.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
More on A geniculata- They get huge, too. Mine is very handleable although I have to spend a second or two extra each time proving to her I'm not a mm dubia. She's always hungry! :)

Although I've noted other keepers saying the hairs of genics don't bother them much, mine has been the worst I have in that respect- even though she hardly kicks and is never bald.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
An avic is what you need.
Girls love avics. It's a true story.

Avicularia versicolor are very colorful and vibrant, Avicularia avicularia are not quite as colorful, but have adorable pink toes. Avics differ from your rosea in that they are arboreal- they climb and live in trees. Also, they need a humid home, which means frequent misting. Avics are known to move quickly, but they are not usually aggressive.

kru008

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hope this video opens up options! :D

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FckPhB46-ts&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FckPhB46-ts&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]