im kinda new to this

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
First of all, Hi to anyone who reads this.

I'm pretty new to keeping spiders, in fact, I dont even have one yet. I have searched dozens of sites about T's, and I'm browsing this forum for about a week now, so I'm starting to know few things about keeping spiders.

I bought a container today to make the terrarium, but im not very sure about its size... its 30 cm high, 22 cm width and 40 cm long (see pictures). Im getting the terraria encyclopaedia book soon so I can start thinking about what to put in it. So I want you guys to tell me if this container is good to keep a spider.

Also, I'm not very sure about what spider I should take as my first. I've read stories about the G. Rosea and G. Pulchra being good beginner spiders. Other ppl have told me to go for the B. Smithi or B. Boehmei. :? I don't know anymore. All I know is, i want a spider that isn't agressive, but isn't a wuss too...

Well, hope you guys can help me with these things, and I'm sure to come to this forum more often.

Ðennis

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The encloser should be fine for most tarantulas. All the tarantulas you named are good for diffrent reasons. Some have high price tags, so keep that in mind. You should go to the main page and look at the pics and see what floats your boat. And welcome to the hobby:)

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
First of all, Hi to anyone who reads this.
Also, I'm not very sure about what spider I should take as my first. I've read stories about the G. Rosea and G. Pulchra being good beginner spiders. Other ppl have told me to go for the B. Smithi or B. Boehmei. :? I don't know anymore. All I know is, i want a spider that isn't agressive, but isn't a wuss too...
Forgot to add:
G. rosea cheap easy to attain, and usally docil. G. puchlara a great first T but VERY high price tag. B smithi a good T that like to flik hair. Also E campestus (pink zebra beauty) is a good starter.

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What I would do is first choosing a T and then buying a container for it. I would say that the container you bought fits for nearly every Kind of terrestrial T. I would not put a avicularia in it for example. My first T was a Brachypelma albopilosum and I was and still are very content with it. This T will also be ok with your container.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, okay. I decided to take a G. Rosea or a G. Pulchra, depending on the price, the G. Pulchra looks MUCH better.
The only problem is ... where to buy one here in holland:?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
dennie,
How ya doing?
Arachnojoost is from Holland. He could help hook you up.
You can also go to "search", and type in Holland. That should bring up other people and info. there..

Welcome,
Ernie

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, having bought one of those containers in the past, I thought I should mention to be careful you latch it. After considering mine some more, I decided it sucks. The blue tint really gets kind of annoying after a while, and the thing doesn't balance too well. Only good on a perfectly flat surface. If you've still got the reciept, I'd say take it back and get an appropriate sized Kritter Keeper instead. Those can also be used vertically if you get an arboreal, like a pinktoe. And, while I don't know the availability in Holland, if you don't want something so boring, that isn't quite a meany, look at a Cyclosternum fasciatum. Truly beautiful species, that isn't too aggressive, and has a reputation for being very hardy. Along the same lines, there is Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens, the ever popular Green Bottle Blue. Very similar in mood/needs.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the info about the container Bill. I will see if i can bring it back to the shop, but I don't think they will take it back because it was some special action, but i will try to change.

I contacted chairman of the dutch tarantula corporation to ask if he could get me a spiderling. I hope to hear from him soon...

About the Cyclosternum fasciatum, arachnopets.com says u need experience 6 to keep one of those, since I'm totally noob, I don't think I'm ready for one of those yet...

Ðennis

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I'm not really sure why Scott rated that T so high up, perhaps He who Rules could enlighten us? In my experience, it's a pretty easy T, but mine's only gotten to about 3 inchesish now. Most people I talk to agree they are pretty flighty, but quite unlikely to bite. I don't recall talking to anyone that mentioned them being hair-kickers, really that they are just a little on the quick side. However, generally speaking, your choices above are good ones. I'm always glad to see people researching before they buy, and not just doing it on impulse and winding up with a pet shop cobalt blue from hell. I should add though, that if you look up rosea or rose hair on this forum's search feature, you will find alot of people like myself who happened to get quite defensive G. roseas. It seems like it's close to the 10-20% mark, but some really experienced keepers on this board have reported pretty nasty Rose hairs.

That said, don't let that scare you, most people agree they are pretty docile and calm. Make your own judgment on them if you decide to get one. Even if you do get one of these "Psycho" rose hairs, it's still not too much for anyone with a good head on their shoulders to deal with. For that matter, I personally don't think any fairly intelligent and responsible person would have problems with a C. fasciatum.

So now there's 3 cents ;)

Bill

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie

I contacted chairman of the dutch tarantula corporation to ask if he could get me a spiderling. I hope to hear from him soon...

You shouldn't have any problem getting any tarantula there, there's a thriving invertebrate hobby in Europe. If you can't get what you want in Holland, doubtless there's someone in Germany or England who will ship to you.

Wade

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dennie,

I have one of those exact same cages, only one size smaller. I kept my 3 inch A.geniculata in it until she molted to 4"++ and she did just fine. They are very tall though, so i would reccomend filling it with an appropriate amount of substrate so the spider cant fall more than about twice its own body length.

Mark

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've used that cage before and just make sure if you get a sling instead of a sub-adult that you put some tape over half of the slits or you will have a M.I.A sling on your hands. Little ones fit through those slits!
Welcome:D