I'm heading back down the dwarf route

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
reading they can be a bit of a pet rock...? do they show themselves only when you drop food in? If they build tunnels throughout the substrate and can be seen through the glass/enclosure walls, I'd be so down...

this incei's look pretty amazing just as well... and guess they're big webbers which is definitely a plus...

I don't have E sp red, but I love my E sp tiger, amazing how active the little girl is!
So far my two sp. reds are the only I have of the euathlus genus. I am "not allowed" to get any more T's until I've upgraded my T Room. (HAHAHA, we'll see about that, my hearties). My Gordita (heehee) is very active. Almost every time I go in there, she's walking and webbing around. She's only eaten a whopping three times in my care, very true what they say about not being the best eaters. She's the only tarantula in my collection that I handle. It's almost hard not to, as she crawls onto me when doing maintenance. <3 (I only love that a *little* bit).

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Euathlus sp. red was mentioned already, but I honestly cannot sing enough praises for these little joys. I have recently purchased one adult female with one of her slings as a freebie. She is precious, well they both are. The sling is teeny tiny. They are so gentle and curious, definitely a must. :D
If you ever get the opportunity to purchase a Euathlus sp north grab it with both hands they behave just like E sp red they are a touch smaller but so very beautiful. At 1st glance they look like a small G rosea but they are bronze, gold with faint stripes on their legs ala Thrixopelma they even have the red mohawk like E sp red

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
If you ever get the opportunity to purchase a Euathlus sp north grab it with both hands they behave just like E sp red they are a touch smaller but so very beautiful. At 1st glance they look like a small G rosea but they are bronze, gold with faint stripes on their legs ala Thrixopelma they even have the red mohawk like E sp red
I will keep my eyes open! I am so happy with Gordita. So happy. I peruse all my favorite purchasing sites often (cough, daily, cough). I saw her one moment, and was furiously typing my billing info the next. The $175 price tag didn't phase one little bit. Even if she was $300, I would wouldn't have any regrets.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will keep my eyes open! I am so happy with Gordita. So happy. I peruse all my favorite purchasing sites often (cough, daily, cough). I saw her one moment, and was furiously typing my billing info the next. The $175 price tag didn't phase one little bit. Even if she was $300, I would wouldn't have any regrets.
I have an adult female E sp red that I picked up back in 2013 for around $30 and not long after I picked up a E parvulas which is also female another great small tarantula that costs about $25 over here in the uk. This is my parvulas

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
reading they can be a bit of a pet rock...? do they show themselves only when you drop food in? If they build tunnels throughout the substrate and can be seen through the glass/enclosure walls, I'd be so down...

this incei's look pretty amazing just as well... and guess they're big webbers which is definitely a plus...

I don't have E sp red, but I love my E sp tiger, amazing how active the little girl is!
From what I've gathered they're basically trap door T's which to me us unreal. It's somehow different then a pet hole. To me anyway. I absolutely love her to bits.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Silly question but do the dwarves have a short lifespan?
We don't really know, they haven't been in the hobby that long. My MM E sp Yellow is now 3 years old. Just ate not long ago too. He's doing just fine.

I have read that males live about 1 year and females 8-10. But the info regarding females hadnt been verified since most species they haven't been in the hobby for that long yet. I got 4 dwarf species myself, time will tell.
What locality or species did you hear that age for?

Thanks mate it looks like I have another on my list. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say this won't end ever will it
The person on the forum that has the largest collection of dwarf Ts to the best of my knowledge is out your way. It's @LittleT , has more dwarf Ts than anyone I know.

Don't forget the gold form N. incei ;)
View attachment 234423
Surprised no one has shown a N. incei normal phase yet, I certainly haven't. Nice gold btw.

I think it depends on the genus/species. I have seen posts about Euathlus Sp. Red females getting to 15 years. I was told by a breeder that Cyriocosmus females live 5-7 years.

I have Neoholothele incei, Dolichothele diamantinensis, E. Sp. red and tiger, and Cyriocosmus bertae. I would also like to have more dwarfs but the prices are a little higher for some of them due to fewer offerings.

Since most slings get added moisture, I am curious if anyone can advise on what size dwarfs no longer need as much moisture (ignoring the ones that always get moisture like N. incei)?
The NW dwarfs I own haven't had moisture since over an inch. I even let some of my incei go a little dry at times due to travel, and no issues.

So far my two sp. reds are the only I have of the euathlus genus
You MAY know that Euathlus is not a real genus. If not, it isn't.

From what I've gathered they're basically trap door T's which to me us unreal. It's somehow different then a pet hole. To me anyway. I absolutely love her to bits.
Are you referring to incei? If so, they are not trap doors. Now, I. mira that's a trap door terrestrial, the only 1 known. And there's a recently discovered arboreal trap door it seems too in the NW.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
if you want a webber and feel comfortable with a shy reclusive old world try H villosella here's my adult female.
I don't have any OWs yet. Maybe one day!

I'm a fan of moving slowly as I continue to gain experience and knowledge. (I got my first tarantula in November 2013.)