I'm heading back down the dwarf route

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Guy's
We all know that there comes a time when the inevitable lack of space will rear it's ugly unwanted head, well I have this problem now as I write but I've come up with a truly ingenious solution. Before I go any further I must state this is a solution to my problem and not everybody can use this although you should.

The sudden lack of space as worried me somewhat for at least 24hrs or so and to get around my need for a few more tarantulas but smaller enclosures I've decided to look into dwarf species and I pulled the trigger on an order which includes the following.
Cyriocosmus leetzi af
Cyriocosmus sellatus 2cm sling
Cyclosternum schmardae 1cm sling
I should add that although this isn't a sling I had to put this on my order Aphonopelma chalcodes female sub adult/adult

Now I swear on a stack of Marvel comics (other comics are available) that these are my last ever tarantulas unless a Grammostola alticeps turns up or an Aphonopelma moderatum but honestly these are my last tarantula purchases ever..........Probably

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Grab up some Neoholothele incei before you decide (for a while) to stop. Perfect spiders for St. Patrick's Day too.

Attachments

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grab up some Neoholothele incei before you decide (for a while) to stop. Perfect spiders for St. Patrick's Day too.
I picked 1 up a few weeks ago and instantly fell in love with it, I wish I'd added 1 to my collection earlier now

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Add P. baeri, K. brunnipes, D. diamantinensis....etc
I've raised D diamantinensis from a sling to a mature male and it's only a few months since he sadly passed. I currently have a D bolivianum in my collection now along with my Euathlus parvula , E sp red and my H triseriatus, I wouldn't mind finding a E sp north I just love them

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My only dwarf right now is my juvenile male Dolichothele diamantinensis, but I would like to get some Neoholothele incei some day. (I like webbers.)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My only dwarf right now is my juvenile male Dolichothele diamantinensis, but I would like to get some Neoholothele incei some day. (I like webbers.)
I love both D diamantinensis and N incei both fantastic nw dwarves but if you want a webber and feel comfortable with a shy reclusive old world try H villosella here's my adult female.

Also if you like D diamantinensis you'll probably like D bolivianum they are pretty good webbers and behave like Gbb with semi arboreal tendencies despite being terrestrial

Attachments

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Obviously not a true dwarf although small but I've just got a female Idiothele Mira. Fascinating behaviour. And absolutely stunning.

Taking her first meal after making her trap door.

u bada

Arachnopeon
That's a beautiful baboon... and great photos.

I too may need to go the dwarf/small route for my next, so a great new thread.

is this I. mira difficult to keep? I'm new to T's and currently just have NW species.

the incei looks like a great option too.

basin79

ArachnoGod
That's a beautiful baboon... and great photos.

I too may need to go the dwarf/small route for my next, so a great new thread.

is this I. mira difficult to keep? I'm new to T's and currently just have NW species.

the incei looks like a great option too.
6" of sub and a water dish. No different to most T's.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Silly question but do the dwarves have a short lifespan?

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I have read that males live about 1 year and females 8-10. But the info regarding females hadnt been verified since most species they haven't been in the hobby for that long yet. I got 4 dwarf species myself, time will tell.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have read that males live about 1 year and females 8-10. But the info regarding females hadnt been verified since most species they haven't been in the hobby for that long yet. I got 4 dwarf species myself, time will tell.
That's longer than I imagined. The same as arboreal T's then roughly. Cheers.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
Euathlus sp. red was mentioned already, but I honestly cannot sing enough praises for these little joys. I have recently purchased one adult female with one of her slings as a freebie. She is precious, well they both are. The sling is teeny tiny. They are so gentle and curious, definitely a must. :D

u bada

Arachnopeon
6" of sub and a water dish. No different to most T's.
reading they can be a bit of a pet rock...? do they show themselves only when you drop food in? If they build tunnels throughout the substrate and can be seen through the glass/enclosure walls, I'd be so down...

this incei's look pretty amazing just as well... and guess they're big webbers which is definitely a plus...

I don't have E sp red, but I love my E sp tiger, amazing how active the little girl is!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think it depends on the genus/species. I have seen posts about Euathlus Sp. Red females getting to 15 years. I was told by a breeder that Cyriocosmus females live 5-7 years.

I have Neoholothele incei, Dolichothele diamantinensis, E. Sp. red and tiger, and Cyriocosmus bertae. I would also like to have more dwarfs but the prices are a little higher for some of them due to fewer offerings.

Since most slings get added moisture, I am curious if anyone can advise on what size dwarfs no longer need as much moisture (ignoring the ones that always get moisture like N. incei)?

Last edited: