Im having problems with Tiger Beetles.

BugBoyJax

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have recently gone up to the mountains and caught 7 Tiger beetles. (I'm pretty sure they are a High Mountain Oregon Tiger Beetle, Cicindela oregona). I caught two the first day and four the next. The day I caught four beetles the first two died the same day. I was pretty sure that they didn't have enough water because I caught them at a lake and I only gave them one little ball of tissue soaked with water. They both drank all of it really fast, I kept them in a warmer room with light right above them, but they died the next day. The four I caught seemed to be doing really well but once I brought them home two died and another wont stop rolling on its back without being able to get back up. I gave them lots of easily accessible water and two crickets. Could have the change in elevation been what killed them? I had given them all the things I read that they needed (Water, food, light, a large space to run with two inches deep of sand and many hiding places, and warmth). If you have any ideas on what I can do please share them with me. Thank you.

P.S If I sound dumb about this these are my first beetles I've had, but I have done a decent amount of research.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Was the sand kept moist? The entire substrate should be moist for them, one little water bowl won't do much. They also probably don't need a lamp if the room is already pretty warm.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Heat lamp probably isn't necessary, but they appreciate a definite day/night cycle. If you keep the light on, make sure it stays directly above, otherwise they can get confused and will just run into the side where the light is at. Agreed with needing to provide consistently moist substrate. Hard to say how much life they have left though if they're WC. You could have just caught some older individuals if their season is wrapping up.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
The question of whether isects are affected by sudden large elevation changes is an interesting one. I can't find any information at all about this, which makes me wonder if it's just never been studied, or if it's a complete non-issue and your deaths were coincidental/from other causes. Now I really want to know!

BugBoyJax

Arachnopeon
Was the sand kept moist? The entire substrate should be moist for them, one little water bowl won't do much. They also probably don't need a lamp if the room is already pretty warm.
No, I just had a few moist tissue pieces, but I’ve moved the last few into a larger enclosure with moist sand and they seem to be doing better now. Thank you! I didn’t know they needed this much water. Also, I think I read somewhere that you feed them once a week, is that true? I can’t find the website I saw it on, and I also am unable to find anywhere else telling me how often to feed them.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
No, I just had a few moist tissue pieces, but I’ve moved the last few into a larger enclosure with moist sand and they seem to be doing better now. Thank you! I didn’t know they needed this much water. Also, I think I read somewhere that you feed them once a week, is that true? I can’t find the website I saw it on, and I also am unable to find anywhere else telling me how often to feed them.
Yeah they like it pretty humid, the substrate definitely needs to be kept moist. Glad they're doing better for you now! :) And considering how fast a metabolism they have for a Carabid, I'd feed them every two to three days, once a week might be pushing it...

BugBoyJax

Arachnopeon
Yeah they like it pretty humid, the substrate definitely needs to be kept moist. Glad they're doing better for you now! :) And considering how fast a metabolism they have for a Carabid, I'd feed them every two to three days, once a week might be pushing it...
Ok, Thanks a lot for this info!