I'm getting my 3rd tarantula, can someone help me decide which to get?

Benj

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I'm new into tarantula keeping and so far I have 2 Ts. B.Boehmi female 6" and a G.Pulchripes female 6". I have them for atleast a year now. This hobby is so addictive! My friend offers me an Acanthoscurria musculosa female and a nhandu coloratovillosus also female. both with the same price. Google only gives me 1 or 2 resources to read so I decided to ask here. I want my 3rd T to be a good display T. Large, not plain brown in color, terrestrial, being docile is a plus tho I'm ok with semi or aggressive ones since I don't have plans to handle my Ts. I've been dying to get an A.Geniculata or a G.Pulchra but both are out of stock in my city. Any insights? :cat:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The Nhandu would be a fantastic addition. They flick like hell and can throw strops now and then. They are large and bold Ts. They would be a great for the collection

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Mmmm N. Coloratovillosus....need my lab gear for that thing. Does your B. Boehmei urticating hair bother you?

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Pamphos are beautiful Ts, and on the large side. The Phormictopus genus has some pretty ones too, albeit a bit more defensive.

Benj

Arachnopeon
I also heard Nhandus really like to flick hairs! Both my Boehmi and Pulchripes never flicked hair while on my care. I only open their enclo to feed them and that's it.
Do Nhandus flick hair even just by opening the enclo lid? or throw a cricket in? or replace water?
Thanks for the replies! That's 2 points for Nhandu.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have had N. chromatus in the past and it wasnt a flicker. Though I have heard many people say that the N. colorato can be bad for that

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I also heard Nhandus really like to flick hairs! Both my Boehmi and Pulchripes never flicked hair while on my care. I only open their enclo to feed them and that's it.
Do Nhandus flick hair even just by opening the enclo lid? or throw a cricket in? or replace water?
Thanks for the replies! That's 2 points for Nhandu.
Nhandus tend to be a more skittish species. They will probably be more spooked than your other T's when opening and feeding. It cerrainly is possibke for a Nhandu to end up kicking even when opening the cage: and their hairs are usually really bad. My vote is for musculosa of the two, but in all honesty I'd try for a P. cancerides. The other week, just bought a garunteed sub adult female :D They are great, beautiful T's with nice bronze markings? And both Acanthoscurria and most big NW have great appatites. Have a feeling A. musculosa will be an amazing addition. Aggresive feeding response + huge size is amazing for a "intermediate" keeper like yourself :D

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
If you end up with a hair flicker, you can minimize exposure by wearing latex gloves and using tongs whenever you do cage maintenance.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
go for the Nhandu, nice colors if not as bright as the N chromatus.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I only open their enclo to feed them and that's it.
That's why your boehmei doesn't flick. Mine will flick when I drop a cricket via the side food door, you are lucky.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Pterinochilus murinus.

Kappa.
I only have one tarantula myself (our two week anniversary is today <3) but I've heard that Brachys are great, particularly the smithi.

Benj

Arachnopeon
now I'm scared of getting a nhandu. haha. Any other opinion on A.Musculosa?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
now I'm scared of getting a nhandu. haha. Any other opinion on A.Musculosa?
Nhandus are pretty liberal with their hairs, and I've heard they can be almost as bad as the Theraphosas. Accanthoscurrias are at least somewhat defensive, though still calm enough to be okay for your third tarantula. The musculosa is a really pretty tarantula, I just looked it up.

Benj

Arachnopeon
thanks for that! I think I'll go with A.Musculosa. But I'm going to wait for a month just in case A.Geniculata will be available. :cat:;)

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Maybe go for a GBB? They don't get huge or anything, but they're absolutely gorgeous, almost always out on display, make some fantastic webs, and have one of the best feeding responses I've seen. I wouldn't call them "docile" as they can be skittish and are quite quick, but I've never gotten a thread display from mine.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I also vote A. musculosa. It's not that common as N. coloratovillosus.. They are BIG, easy to take care of, pretty IMO.. etc. And IME they don't kick hairs like the whole genus of Nhandu..

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for that! I think I'll go with A.Musculosa. But I'm going to wait for a month just in case A.Geniculata will be available. :cat:;)
Up untill early last year I had an adult female Nhandu coloratovillosus (sadly passed away due to old age) she was a fantastic display species that never refused food nor did she ever flick hair or threat pose. I may have got lucky with her but I miss her and I'm thinking of adding another.
I'm not trying to sway you but you do realise that Acanthoscurria have pretty bad hairs also and because we and our tarantulas are all different we all react a little differently, meaning what ever tarantula you get may or may not flick