I'm curious as to know how to breed Theraposa Blondis I currently just purchased 3 True Blondis

Eli824

ArachnoEnthusiast
The way you type is like saying all of that in one breath. I find myself almost panting with the effort, lol.
But it made more sense this time, so there's progress.
About the crickets. If there is a dead one, remove it, don't feed it. Cricket can get toxic when the temp is too low consistently, because of their metabolism slowing and not being able to get rid of the waste in their bodies.
But dubia are great too.

About the heat and humidity.
Insulation does not work with tarantula, because they don't generate heat like mammals do. If you insulate a cage without adding heat, it will not work.
Insulation can however make a cage stuffy and damp because of the lack of ventilation. This last bit is especially important for any species in the Avicularia genus, but from what I've read, it is also bad for Theraphosa species, because they need higher humidity.
Because of this, Theraphosa are not recommended for new keepers,because it can be a lot of work and solving issues like mold.

You can provide the right temperature by using a space heater which warms up the room.

I will add a link for info on the Avicularia species.
I understand your enthousiasm, but don't rush things. Get a few species, and get their care down completely. You're already worrying if you got things right, which to me means you're a little in over your head. Take the time to get things right, instead of 'doing ok'. The species you love will be here next year as well. There's no need to buy everything at once.
Thank you I'll make sure to get a heat source for all of them and maybe I'll stop buying more T's for now and just keep up with the ones I got

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you I'll make sure to get a heat source for all of them and maybe I'll stop buying more T's for now and just keep up with the ones I got
Be careful with heatmats, they can become a danger to your spiders. If you are from the US, it is better to use a space heater. In europe, heatmats and cables are used because of the insane energy prices, but with great care. Never place a mat or cable under the cage. The T will burrow and get overheated really fast. Don't use heatlamps, they dry the cage out in no time, which especially Theraphosa won't like.

Eli824

ArachnoEnthusiast
Be careful with heatmats, they can become a danger to your spiders. If you are from the US, it is better to use a space heater. In europe, heatmats and cables are used because of the insane energy prices, but with great care. Never place a mat or cable under the cage. The T will burrow and get overheated really fast. Don't use heatlamps, they dry the cage out in no time, which especially Theraphosa won't like.
What if I place the heat cable on the outside of the tank. Like on the side not the bottom and what if I use foam to prevent heat from escaping ?

Eli824

ArachnoEnthusiast
IMG_0207.JPG
What if I place the heat cable on the outside of the tank. Like on the side not the bottom and what if I use foam to prevent heat from escaping ?
Kind of like this but with cable

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'm not trying to be arrogant but that is what all of us in America think
I don't have much input as to the breeding of Theraposa sp but I would just like to throw it out there that this is not the case with all of us...;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
View attachment 227115
Kind of like this but with cable
Heat mats or cable should NEVER be used on the inside of the tank! :eek:!!
I'd take that out of there asap!
Spiders climb, and chew. If it chews on a cable or mat, it will die by electrocution.

Place heatmats on the outside, and as high up on the enclosure as possible, if you are going to use them. But i would go for a space heater if i was you.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
... you're in Southern California. Why on earth are you worrying about temperatures?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMG_3754.JPG
From some of the most striking terrestrial slings, to the ugliest adults ever. Such a shame. If only they kept those markings and coloration to adult
As adults I don't find them ugly, what's ugly when people post photos of the wild caught specimens that have not had a fresh molt. This photo of my Theraphosa stirmi was taken in 2009 she was wild caught and freshly molted, she was bad ass!

I do agree as adults it would have been great to see their baby appearance.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
... you're in Southern California. Why on earth are you worrying about temperatures?
I second this - I'm in New England. It will be -20 with the wind chill tonight. School was cancelled today because children who had to walk to their bus stops could freeze to death.
My Ts do not have heat pads. :p

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What's even more odd is that the OP has 100 different species and hasn't yet figured out how to control temperature....

Paiige

Arachnobaron
What's even more odd is that the OP has 100 different species and hasn't yet figured out how to control temperature....
...I mean he didn't specify that they're alive, they could be 100 different taxidermied species?

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I think you're spending quite a bit of effort to convince us of your 100 specie collection, that you you really did buy three true blondi, and making "grand" statements about wanting to single handedly bring the US to the level of Europe in breeding. Makes me wonder why.....
Hmmmm i thought the same when i read 100 t collection" earlier and then i just read "i started my dubia colony just to feed my blondi because they are the best feeder"

What were you feeding 97 spiders prior to your blondi and dubia acquisition

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
And in no way do I care to convince anyone to be honest but let's be realistic out of 100 people who say they have a t blondi how many of them are Stirmi ? But hey if you think I'm being overly proud or trying to convince then I feel sad for society because that just shows me that no matter what there will always be some dumb shmuck thinking he knows what he is talking about and feels he is entitled and expresses himself as though he can never be wrong
That shmuck is you.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Hmmmm i thought the same when i read 100 t collection" earlier and then i just read "i started my dubia colony just to feed my blondi because they are the best feeder"

What were you feeding 97 spiders prior to your blondi and dubia acquisition
They're all Grammastola and they've been fasting all this time :D