I'm costly on time: Tarantula evacuation

hypocrite

Arachnopeon
as you may know eastern coast florida is about to get toppled by a Cat.5 storm, we're being forced to evacuate i have 6 tarantula, 1x sling 3x a.avic/a.metallica, an b.albo and a rosie, the sling and albo both burrow and are underground basically. any suggestions how to transport them safely in a van?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Put the enclosures in a box, with towels/sheets between them. Place bottles of hot water atop them,, maybe bring sime hot water with you.
Good luck and take care!

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Be careful! I was just thanking fate that I no longer live there! Put a fluffy comforter on the bottom of the box and pack them like fine China. Best of luck and please keep us posted!

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
They should be fine. Keep them away from the air vents and out of direct sun light. I traveled from LA to Lincoln, NE in a car with four tarantulas and they did just fine. I put them all in a box and packed news paper between their containers.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Watched the news here in Italy just not even an hour ago and they depicted a sort of crappy "Hollywood Apocalypse" movies scenario. Now forgive me but I don't (nor I can't) trust those Zombie/s main news not even a bit because they keep lying to sheeps and love to exagerate facts, but, really... all the people of Florida needs to evacuate, or only those living in/near the coast?

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
all the people of Florida needs to evacuate, or only those living in/near the coast?
Although it is primarily the east coast, Florida is very skinny so it ends up being a good part of it. Because hurricanes gather strength over water, and lose it inland, the entire state of Florida is at risk. There is no 'inland' enough until you get into the very northern part - Florida has large bodies of water on both sides and hurricanes tend to not lose strength in that area.
The entire state will be impacted, but the east coast is going to get it worse... that is where the evacuations are taking place.
Personally, if I lived anywhere in Florida, I would be hightailing it out of there if I could.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Watched the news here in Italy just not even an hour ago and they depicted a sort of crappy "Hollywood Apocalypse" movies scenario. Now forgive me but I don't (nor I can't) trust those Zombie/s main news not even a bit because they keep lying to sheeps and love to exagerate facts, but, really... all the people of Florida needs to evacuate, or only those living in/near the coast?
I can't speak to if all people need to leave or not. However, another issue aside from Vanessa's, is that Florida has one of the lowest state's relative to how far above sea-level it is. In almost any area of Florida, you are often only inches above the ocean. It doesn't take much force for coastal flooding to occur in FL. It's an extremely flat state, and low level state relative to the ocean.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, now of course (I don't like to say this but I have to) when exceptional events/menace like this happens, you have to save your life and family one, think about those, and to survive, first. But I can't wonder about the people living in Florida, with huge T's collection... man.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, now of course (I don't like to say this but I have to) when exceptional events/menace like this happens, you have to save your life and family one, think about those, and to survive, first. But I can't wonder about the people living in Florida, with huge T's collection... man.
I HOPE @Poec54 is OK???

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I HOPE @Poec54 is OK???
Yes, Poec54 and the others living there. If I'm not wrong Poec54 owns - I don't even imagine how much T's - and palms trees as well for other plants if I remember correctly.

14pokies if I'm not wrong lives in Florida as well? Hope they are ok.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Poec54 probably has safeguards in place. Reinforced walls perhaps. He has been down there a long time to my knowledge so I am sure he has been through these types of storms before.

In any case good luck to everyone in Florida during this time. Thoughts with you all.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thanks man I'm good.. It's just a typical night for me feeding Ts and cleaning monitor enclosures.. I love bad weather so I'm actually really excited about the storm..

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
My parents recently moved to FL and live right where the storm is going to hit. They were advised to evacuate and opted not to. I'm going to be glad when this night is over. Hopefully they'll be ok!

I hope the OP and others stay safe and as dry as possible!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Florida has one of the lowest state's relative to how far above sea-level it is. In almost any area of Florida, you are often only inches above the ocean. It doesn't take much force for coastal flooding to occur in FL. It's an extremely flat state, and low level state relative to the ocean.

The highest natural elevation in southern Florida is a small island just off the coast of Fort Myers, it's 30 feet above sea level, and it's only that high because Indians had dumped shells there for centuries. A lot of the southern coast of Florida is just several feet above sea level, pretty scary when the waves get high or if there's hurricane storm surge. It's very different than the California coast.

Building codes have been improved steadily since Andrew hit South Miami & Homestead in 1992. I had the eye wall of a Category 3 hurricane go by my place, no damage to the house at all, just some fallen pine branches and palm fronds. That's how the house was built, I haven't reinforced anything or even used plywood or shutters. I'm inland and there's a lot of native trees around me. They help break up the wind. Closer to the coast, they get the full brunt of the wind and get some palms snapped in two and trees blown over from a Category 3 and up. A big factor is how fast the hurricane passes by. If it's quick, there's not as much flooding or as much time for the winds to pummel things. If it's slow, the rain just keeps coming, saturates the ground, and trees and poles fall over easily, as the soil's like wet oatmeal by then. On the approach you get the winds coming from one direction, and the opposite direction when it exits, and that's often when the most damage occurs. The old 'one, two punch.'

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Poec5you'rest: 2537233 said:
The highest natural elevation in southern Florida is a small island just off the coast of Fort Myers, it's 30 feet above sea level, and it's only that high because Indians had dumped shells there for centuries. A lot of the southern coast of Florida is just several feet above sea level, pretty scary when the waves get high or if there's hurricane storm surge. It's very different than the California coast.

Building codes have been improved steadily since Andrew hit South Miami & Homestead in 1992. I had the eye wall of a Category 3 hurricane go by my place, no damage to the house at all, just some fallen pine branches and palm fronds. That's how the house was built, I haven't reinforced anything or even used plywood or shutters. I'm inland and there's a lot of native trees around me. They help break up the wind. Closer to the coast, they get the full brunt of the wind and get some palms snapped in two and trees blown over from a Category 3 and up. A big factor is how fast the hurricane passes by. If it's quick, there's not as much flooding or as much time for the winds to pummel things. If it's slow, the rain just keeps coming, saturates the ground, and trees and poles fall over easily, as the soil's like wet oatmeal by then. On the approach you get the winds coming from one direction, and the opposite direction when it exits, and that's often when the most damage occurs. The old 'one, two punch.'
Good to see you're okay!

hypocrite

Arachnopeon
i figured i'd come back and add all is well and thanks for the box advice :p i came back to daytona from orlando with power still intact and no real damages, some fencing fell thats about it. x)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
i figured i'd come back and add all is well and thanks for the box advice :p i came back to daytona from orlando with power still intact and no real damages, some fencing fell thats about it. x)
Welcome back! Good to hear everything is okay, and you critters are doing well.