I'm considering purchasing a tarantula but don't know what breed/species to buy to fit what I want.?

candycandy

Arachnopeon
I already know the basics of tarantula care as a good friend of mine already owns both a Cobalt Blue Tarantula and a Chilean Rosey-Hair Tarantula. (In fact, whatever tarantula I purchase will likely be kept at his place as I have a psychotic feline that will likely not mesh well with an arachnid around...) So, I know I don't want one of the two that he already has.

I'm wanting a more active type of tarantula (if there is such a thing.) I love watching them move and (especially) feed and want a breed that will be relatively active. Anybody out there who owns a few tarantulas and has some advice as to which is a good active breed to have, please let me know.

Also, aggression isn't really a problem. The Cobalt Blue tarantula, we were told, has an agression factor of 4 out of 5 and hasn't been that horrible of a problem as long as common sense is utilized, so an agressive spider is not a problem.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
try the search engine here on the forums :) This type of question has been posted many many times and has twice as many responses :D

I will say though that a GBB would be a great first choice as they web a lot, mine was pretty active, grows fast, eats like a pig, and is colorful as all get out!

My Avicularia species that I've had (braunshauseni, metallica, huriana) or still have are great starters too...once they build a tube web some tend to hide in them most of the time. however, my A. metallica and A. huriana both spent a decent amount of time on the walls of the tanks in the late evening/early morning but would hide during the day.

Lasiodora parahybana is another extremely fast grower and eats like a pig too...however, they have a bad habit of thinking everything is food once they hit about 2.5-3" btu if you don't plan on handling at all they're a good choice if you want something that will make a good display T. THey're not the most active but they don't ever hide either once they get some size, mine went from about 1" to 6" in less than a year and I wasn't powerfeeding either (nor was I rationing it...happy medium).

I say go for a GBB :drool:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would agree that a GBB (C. cyaneopubescens) is a good choice. I would also recommend a G. aureostriata as a good first tarantula.

Last edited:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi how about chaco golden knees curly hairs grammostoala pulchra - salmon pinks - brazilian whiteknee - red knees - its up to you if you get one then you be geting 6- 10 - 20 - you be in the ( t ) web lol :worship: :clap: and good luck -- phil

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you like watching a tarantula move around and excavate and web up everything, go with a GBB. You can't go wrong as far as looks go with this species; they are very hardy, and if others are like mine, they almost NEVER sit still! I swear my GBB is hyperactive, since she's constantly doing SOMETHING! She's hardly the "pet rock" type, that's for certain! She's not too bad with handling, either, though she'll give a bluff threat pose every now and then. This species tends to have a really strong feeding response, comparable to a Retic python, which probably accounts for a lot of "aggression" that's reported with these. She'll nail anything that she thinks is food.

pitbulllady

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, I agree. GBB's are wonderful!!! Very beautiful, fantastic webbers, great eaters, and boy can they move!! I've only had two escapes during the almost 16 months that I have been keeping T's and one of them was my male GBB who was a juvie at the time.
Mine was active and moved around a lot, except when it was time to moult, then he would web himself into his hide and not come out until he was read to eat again.
If you get one, just remember, give them a water dish, but no misting. They like it bone dry.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, I agree. GBB's are wonderful!!! Very beautiful, fantastic webbers, great eaters, and boy can they move!! I've only had two escapes during the almost 16 months that I have been keeping T's and one of them was my male GBB who was a juvie at the time.
Mine was active and moved around a lot, except when it was time to moult, then he would web himself into his hide and not come out until he was read to eat again.
If you get one, just remember, give them a water dish, but no misting. They like it bone dry.
i totally agree!!! they are beautiful, hardy spiders. and yes...keep the substrate BONE dry!!!!!

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I suggest a GBB as well, great coloration, easy to care for, and they love to move around, priced nicely as well. The L parahybana and A geniculata you can look into as well as they are monster eaters and growers.:D

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Perhaps not a good choice if it's your very first one, but my Pokies move like hell. It's a kung fu routine on the glass for a while here!!!