im concerned about my giant tailless whip scorpion ive never seen this before.

brettapuss

Arachnopeon
my whip scorp was out the other night like it is most nights waiting for me to put a cricket in. but i noticed something was wrong with the back end of it. there was a flap hanging off the bottom of its abdomem. im really worried theres something terribly wrong if anyone has info please let me know thank you

Attachments

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
Looks like part of a molt that's stuck. Has it molted recently? How humid is it in the enclosure? Do you soak the substrate?

It's very thin - if you toss crickets in there, it likely isn't eating them.

Last edited:

brettapuss

Arachnopeon
Looks like part of a molt that's stuck. Has it molted recently? How humid is it in the enclosure? Do you soak the substrate?

It's very thin - if you toss crickets in there, it likely isn't eating them.
yeah i do spray the substrate and i feed him a cricket every couple nights but i can honestly never tell if hes eating them or not because of how shy he is. is there a food thats maybe slower than crickets that he can have?

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
yeah i do spray the substrate and i feed him a cricket every couple nights but i can honestly never tell if hes eating them or not because of how shy he is. is there a food thats maybe slower than crickets that he can have?
I'd recommend really saturating the substrate with water, if it was humid enough the molt wouldn't be stuck.

What does your enclosure look like? It could be that the whip spider can't find the crickets cause they're hiding. You can always pre-kill crickets or superworms

brettapuss

Arachnopeon
okay ill do that in a bit hes currently chilling on the roof of the enclosure i dont wanna open the door and spook him. i need to go get crickets tomorrow from the shop. the problem with pre killing them is will he find it. since it wont be moving or anything.

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
okay ill do that in a bit hes currently chilling on the roof of the enclosure i dont wanna open the door and spook him. i need to go get crickets tomorrow from the shop. the problem with pre killing them is will he find it. since it wont be moving or anything.
These animals are smart and don't work on sight. They don't require movement to find prey - they do however require that prey not be hold up in a crevice that is impossible.

Pre-killed is fine and I've never, ever had a problem with it. Most of not all of my Amblypygi are happy to take it, and it's the safest route.

I'd recommend looking at your enclosure and seeing how you can fix it. Too much stuff is a real problem for these guys, any experienced Amblypygi keeper you talk to will have the simplest of simple set ups. Here's a picture of a couple of mine for babies.

Attachments

brettapuss

Arachnopeon
okay thank you for the tips. so if i kill the cricket and just place it on the floor on the substrate you think hed just simply find it?

brettapuss

Arachnopeon
thank you so much for the help i really appreciate it. ive simplified the engloser down to just the whip scorpions tilted log that its got for cover placed near identically how you showed me in those previous pics(it has been that way since ive made the enclosure) ive just got rud of the couple things that food could be potentially hiding in. im going to the shop in the morning to get more food ill pre-kill a cricked and just lay it on the substrate outside its tilted hide and im just really hoping the little fella gets some food. i would just hate for anything to happen to it.

brettapuss

Arachnopeon
can whip scorpions make noise. i knew there was one live cricket in there (because i cant catch it lol) and ive just walked into the living to see that the whip scorpion looks more plumb on its back end, but im still hearing a churp in there but i cant see a cricket anywhere. just in case ive put a dead one visible on a tiny peace of bark flat on the enclosure floor. i really am worried about him

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
can whip scorpions make noise. i knew there was one live cricket in there (because i cant catch it lol) and ive just walked into the living to see that the whip scorpion looks more plumb on its back end, but im still hearing a churp in there but i cant see a cricket anywhere. just in case ive put a dead one visible on a tiny peace of bark flat on the enclosure floor. i really am worried about him
Yeah that's all good, most whip spiders don't make any noise. A couple do stridulate but D. Diadema isn't one of them. I wouldn't worry about it, just take out the cricket if you see it

brettapuss

Arachnopeon
hey thank you for all the help with my whip scorpion. ive been keeping a very watchful eye on it for a while now and unfortunately it was eating less and less. today i went to spray the substrate and noticed it had passed away. i really dont know what happened its quite upsetting but i really feel i done everything in my power to help it. so i dont know if it was just its time. ive gone through every forum, video and whatever else info i could find on the internet and done the very best i could to help it. just wanted to come here to thank you for the help you gave

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey thank you for all the help with my whip scorpion. ive been keeping a very watchful eye on it for a while now and unfortunately it was eating less and less. today i went to spray the substrate and noticed it had passed away. i really dont know what happened its quite upsetting but i really feel i done everything in my power to help it. so i dont know if it was just its time. ive gone through every forum, video and whatever else info i could find on the internet and done the very best i could to help it. just wanted to come here to thank you for the help you gave
Probably the most important thing with Amblypygi is moisture and humidity. It needs to be extreme humidity, they can survive mold, they can't survive being too dry. Sorry to hear about your loss.

brettapuss

Arachnopeon
yeah i always made sure there was moisture in there and id always come out to see it drinking at night. i really just dont know what happened. it would not eat at all. i tried locusts, crickets, roaches, large meal worms all dead and alive he would never eat a thing.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Drinking is a red flag, to be honest - they don’t typically drink if the humidity in the enclosure is high enough (with some exceptions). Usually with Damon you want the substrate to be pretty wet and have very little ventilation. If it was truly wet enough (and for long enough, meaning you didn’t finally get it wet enough after it was too late to save the animal), then it’s entirely possible something else was wrong with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯