I'm being eaten alive :/

DragonizedGlory

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone. I'm being eaten alive by mosquitos but I don't want to take a chance with a product and risk agitating my Ts. So my question is will a Raid wall plug in mosquito repeller affect my Ts in any way?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Hello everyone. I'm being eaten alive by mosquitos but I don't want to take a chance with a product and risk agitating my Ts. So my question is will a Raid wall plug in mosquito repeller affect my Ts in any way?
You could try purchasing some predatory insect larvae and raise them to adulthood and release them in your yard. Like praying mantises. I've heard that's what a lot of people do.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
You could try purchasing some predatory insect larvae and raise them to adulthood and release them in your yard. Like praying mantises. I've heard that's what a lot of people do.
Sounds like the problem is now and inside the house

To the OP. A plug would most likely not be a good idea. I know it's a pain, but what about stepping outside and applying a mosquito repellent to yourself. Of course I wouldn't deal with your arachnids while the stuff is on? Other than that, I'm not sure.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I know in Taiwan they have these little sticker things that smell weird that seem to repel mosquitoes quite well. About the size of a large bandaid. Around here (Ripon, CA), we get almost no mosquitoes, so I'm unsure if they sell similar products in the states.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wouldn't. I use on a regular basis those wall device products in Summer (seriously, here in Lombardy mosquitoes are Apache choppers) in the other rooms of my house but not where I keep my T's/inverts.

That garbage (because, frankly, it's man made chemical-labs garbage we are talking) able to kill or repel mosquitoes pretty well isn't healthy at all (for us, first) and I don't want that near my T's :-s

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't risk it. My suggestion would be to get an electric fly swatter and have some fun. Just don't zap yourself... It doesn't tickle. Alternatively, you could try the fly tape that you hang from the ceiling and try to remove any standing water in or around your home.

cold blood

Staff member
I would start with closing your doors and windows....do you not have screens on your windows to prevent this? $20 worth of screens would solve your problem i think.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
For two years I lived on an island in West Africa that was full of rice fields and therefore, mosquitoes! Many people called it mosquito island. I tried a lot of products. The most effective things I discovered were 1. Screens and netting, like @cold blood suggested and 2. Air circulation. They don't like fans blowing air and it tends to keep them away.

Also I wouldn't use around your Ts but lemongrass oil is an effective bug repellant to use instead of deet products. You can try it on other parts of the house, for exampke in spray form. I soaked my mosquito nets in water with a few drops of the oil and it works well. It also smells good! Again, keep it away from Ts.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
No idea with mosquitos, but fly strips next to a lamp in a dark room works wonders for gnats.

But seriously, screens.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
A few things as a former pesticide sprayer for a living...female mosquitos travel upwind to feed so they can return to a water source quickly after a blood meal to lay their eggs. Check to see if you have any offending water sources near your house and remove them, and make sure to well circulate your house with a box/ceiling fan (multiple suggested). Wide mesh/wire screens don't always protect from mosquitoes vs other insects I would honestly fully shut anything you have unless it is unbearable without it, or if you are sure you have fine enough mesh screens.

Offer up an exothermic vertebrate such as a dog as sacrifice in your home so they stop attacking you so much. :vamp::troll:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Bug zappers work good too. Nothing but light and some zappy power.

Sana

Arachnoprince
If you eat a clove of garlic mosquitoes will avoid you like the plague. I thought it was insane but I tried in on a backpacking trip last year and behold, a clove of garlic will chase off the mosquitoes for most, if not all, of a day.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If you eat a clove of garlic mosquitoes will avoid you like the plague. I thought it was insane but I tried in on a backpacking trip last year and behold, a clove of garlic will chase off the mosquitoes for most, if not all, of a day.
A clove of garlic will keep most things away. :)

Stugy

Arachnolord
As a person who spent 3 years in the mosquito infested island of Okinawa, my experience is that smoke keeps mosquitoes away pretty well. But at the same time, I think I got numb to the hundreds of bites I would get just by stepping outside so I probably didn't see a difference lol. Maybe put up some kind of repellent outside and proceed to commit mass genocide on the ones inside the house. That's what I did lol. (Once I counted 142 mosquito bites when I got inside my parent's car after being outside for just 10 minutes.)