I'm baffled

CrypticRealism

Arachnopeon
lol.
Alright..I tried handling my G.rosea for the first time about 2 days ago..
It wasn't even intentional..what happened was that I was trying to remove all the annoying crickets I had placed in her terrarium..she had ate enough..and I assumed they were causing her stress..within seconds I noticed her attempting to climb out of her terrarium..she was right at the top.
I started freaking because I didn't want her to fall..so I placed my hand infront of her and she walked on.
I was quite content and was ready to take a picture until she suddenly started scuttling quickly..I therefore placed my other hand infront of the one she was on so as not to drop her..though she's a quick little one..me being the idiot I am..screamed(thinking she was going to fall off)..and dropped her..(not from a high distance..luckily)..I think she bit me because i had a small red mark on my hand but meh..
anyway..ever since..she's only escaped once while i tried cleaning her enclosure..and Ive noticed that she's fairly quick..it's a little scary..
aren't Roses supposed to be completely docile?

Ps. If you've actually read my entire post..kudos to you:worship: lol

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lol. i read it through.

well rosies are really individualistic - you get the pet rocks, the psychos, and the paranoid ones ;). i don't have a rosie, but i used to look after one we rescued from a guy who had her because it was cool:mad:. he kept her on wet, mouldy bark chips... so i took her home, got her a nice terrarium and fed her before giving her to a friend. and that girl was exactly like yours - very nervous and skittish, but bitey only when really afraid.

so your specimen isn't really that unusual. try searching for threads on rosie behaviour, they seem to be fun ;).

CrypticRealism

Arachnopeon
Heh..I'm surprised you comprehended..it being incoherent and all.
and ahh..that isn't good
It's unfortunate when people don't take proper responsibility of their pets..

Thanks!
(I was hoping for a rock!)

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I rehoused my G. rosea last night and she wouldn't go onto my hand (albeit my being nervous about it didn't help). I eventually got her out by coaxing her onto a book but she did slip a little and it scared the crap out of me because I'm not quite ready to perform first aid on a split abdomen. I think she got a little agitated and flicked some hairs, but I wasn't effected.

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I don't see anywhere in your thread that she was not being docile. Any animal will do what it can to avoid death. Falling is usually a death sentence for a T. She did what she could to try to hold on, and probably used her fangs to try to grab on or stabilize herself. It doesn't sound like an intentional bite to me. Even if it was an intentional bite I don't blame her - she felt like she may be falling to her death.

As far as them being pet rocks, I have found mine to be fairly active. They move about their enclosures somewhat, pounce on food immediately and do this incredibly cute grooming routine upon finishing a meal. My pet rocks don't do any of that. :D

Having said that, they do have their own "personalities". Most will be fairly docile but you will have your fair share of psychos. Yours sounds like one of the docile ones. Give her time to settle into her new home, you will see how interesting she can be. Good luck and enjoy!

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
My two rosies are very docile.The larger one is such a wuss that she will only tackle medium crickets,even though she is actually capable of taking hopper locusts.In fact she is the biggest rosie I've ever seen,but also the wimpiest.She literally runs away if the cricks are what she considers too large :D

G

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also have a large rosie and she is one of the few who will take those damn roaches that most of the others will not eat. She pounces on the huge male roaches immediately and doesn't back down or act afraid of them. Most of my other Ts act like your big wuss of a rosie with the roaches. :rolleyes:

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My rosie is a beast, biggest I've seen and I've seen alot of them. She isn't afraid of anything, She's even eaten a Locust nearly as big as herself. She's also a fairly active fuzz ball. I reserve the pet rock nickname for my Cobalt, or actually it would be a pet hole in the ground.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
My two rosies are very docile.The larger one is such a wuss that she will only tackle medium crickets,even though she is actually capable of taking hopper locusts.In fact she is the biggest rosie I've ever seen,but also the wimpiest.She literally runs away if the cricks are what she considers too large :D

G
WOA!! :eek: Mr. SG, what are you doing here? :D

CR, is it a sling or juvie? She might have used her fangs to help her climb. They seem to do that at times.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

G
Aww...skittish rosie, watching out for its own good, in terms of activeness my 1inch sling is doing some free construction for the last few days. Lifted a lot of peat to create somewhat of a spiraling burrow..{D and to CR, just like Alice said, a rosie's attitude is all on the individual, they go from realaxing, friendly, skittish/nervous and pyscho. All depends on the individual, I also think your rosie didn't bite on purpose but more as a tool to try and prevent a fall. Best wishes with your rosie down the road!:D

CrypticRealism

Arachnopeon
heh..well the bite didn't bother me in the least..I expected her to after that scream of mine :?
I just felt terrible about it

Thanks for all the help!
Mine's about 2 years old now..a subadult..and about 4"..I'm assuming she's a good size..I can't wait til she grows bigger

I want a birdeater(for the sole reason of size)...but I need to have more experience with T's XD

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
heh..well the bite didn't bother me in the least..I expected her to after that scream of mine :?
I just felt terrible about it

Thanks for all the help!
Mine's about 2 years old now..a subadult..and about 4"..I'm assuming she's a good size..I can't wait til she grows bigger

I want a birdeater(for the sole reason of size)...but I need to have more experience with T's XD

Technically all Ts are birdeater unless you mean a T having birdeater in their common name. Get a L Parahybana, cheap(i've seen spiderlings for $4), big, HOG, l0l or a P cancerides, beautiful highlights and also a big grower. If you want a T that's still docile but can rack up some good size go for a family member of your rosie, the G aureostriata aka Chaco golden knee, potential to reach 8inches, one of the bigger grammostolas, mine is a 2inch spiderling that's very friendly and docile. :D A drawback though just like all grammostolas is that they take a while to grow.

kurisute_hasu

Arachnopeon
My rosie is a schizo. She throws a pretty convincing threat display every time you open her cage that or she scuttles down into her burrow. One minute its “don’t touch me, I’m serious.” And then once you get her on your hand she just kind of sits there like a lump on a log. She has never walked around.

Although I try to limit holding her and have only done it twice, once to clean the cage. Her previous owner told me how my rosie would strike at any hands that get in the cage…she doesn’t do that any more though.

CrypticRealism

Arachnopeon
Yeah..I meant an actual Birdeater!
Hm..I was definitely looking towards a L.parahybana..but now that you've brought up the G.aureostria..I may reconsider..after some research of coarse.
It's too bad adult T's are so costly..I saw a birdeater(not sure which kind) going for 300.
Heh..that's a huge spiderling!!..
Ah well..I wouldn't mind watching it grow:)
Technically all Ts are birdeater unless you mean a T having birdeater in their common name. Get a L Parahybana, cheap(i've seen spiderlings for $4), big, HOG, l0l or a P cancerides, beautiful highlights and also a big grower. If you want a T that's still docile but can rack up some good size go for a family member of your rosie, the G aureostriata aka Chaco golden knee, potential to reach 8inches, one of the bigger grammostolas, mine is a 2inch spiderling that's very friendly and docile. :D A drawback though just like all grammostolas is that they take a while to grow.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah..I meant an actual Birdeater!
Hm..I was definitely looking towards a L.parahybana..but now that you've brought up the G.aureostria..I may reconsider..after some research of coarse.
It's too bad adult T's are so costly..I saw a birdeater(not sure which kind) going for 300.
Heh..that's a huge spiderling!!..
Ah well..I wouldn't mind watching it grow:)
Well think it through really thoroughly and if you get one of the Lasiodoras they can grow pretty quick once fed well and take care of well as with any T. 2inches is a big spiderling..{D hopefully it can put on a bit of length soon.