im a noob need help

keeper1

Arachnopeon
Hello, Im new here and I still dont know how things work in this website... anyway just bought my first tarantula a few hours ago and I want to ask some questions, its size is slightly bigger than a penny and I dont know what to feed it, the man that I bought it from said meal worms but I think its too big.... and also I bought an enclosure that is big.. should I change to a smaller one because I see on youtube that theyhave small ones

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
You can cut mealworms into pieces and offer it a piece. If it is hungry, it will eat. But dont expect it to attack the piece right away.. This might take some time. If the piece is left uneaten after 24hrs, remove it, because otherwise it will mold.

Also yeah, It would be wise to move it to a deli cup or something similar. Make sure to provide good ventilation.

It would help to know the species tho! This way we could narrow it down and give you a proper caresheet

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Welcome to the hobby! Yea if it's that small you can buy a tiny container for it like a condiment cup or even a tiny tupper ware if you want. Just make sure there are air holes. If the feeders are too big just give them a snip and feed a piece of the mealworm to it

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Good sizes for any tarantula is 2-3x length of T, 2-3x width, and 1.5x height. As for size of prey, if you have a petstore near you, you can buy small crickets and prekill them. Just put them in with the T and it can eat and scavenge off of the corpse. You can also prekill worms or cut them up to have the same effect :)

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Great choice. Those like to burrow when young, so be sure to give it about 5cm of substrate :)

cold blood

Staff member
I'd put it in something with about half as much floor space. Be careful with height, for taller enclosures you will need to fill it with enough sub to make it safe for the t...you don't want it climbing and falling from excessive heights.

I'd also lean a small piece of wood or put in a leaf or something for it to get under...it may not use it, but its an easy add that helps acclimation.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Size can work, it can let it grow a little. Personally, I like slightly bigger enclosures, but that is just me. Also, it looks quite moist in there. If you can confirm, that would be great, but they can be kept pretty dry with a waterdish. Hides sre important as well. Just include a small piece if cork bark with a small space underneath. Helps if it ever wants to hide, especially if you decide to stay with the bigger enclosure. Also, probably should lower the height to the top. Tarantula could hurt itself :)

keeper1

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your help guys.... I notice that he always rest at the top I fear that he falls, so im going to put more substrate in it....

mistertim

Arachnobaron
You should definitely put more sub in there. I'd also give it somewhere to hide like @cold blood said. Even if it is just a small piece of cork bark and you can create a little depression under if for a starter burrow if it wants to use it.