I'm a newb to scorps. I'm getting a P.imperator. Let me know if this setup is OK.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I plan on keeping it in a small kritter keeper for now. It's not full-grown.
I will use coconut coir for substrate.
I will keep it on top of my roach tank, which is 85 degress F.
I will keep it humid by moistening half the substrate and providing a small water dish.

This is my first scorp. Let me know if any changes are needed. I plan on this being a trial run in the scorp hobby. I'm advanced for T's at this point--I keep pokies, and baboons no problem.

It seems like scorps need more heat than T's, from what I've been reading. Most T's are kept at room temp by people in the hobby.

If this really won't work, I might save my money and get it later.
Or get a cobalt.

And I'm getting this from an LPS, so it might be a Red Claw Scorpion, which I'm fine with. This is just more to get a feel for the scorp hobby than anything else.

Also--I haz a drunk, please forgive any typos. I'm usually better. Also, search function not so great when inebriated. Kthxbai.:D

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I plan on keeping it in a small kritter keeper for now. It's not full-grown.
I will use coconut coir for substrate.
I will keep it on top of my roach tank, which is 85 degress F.
I will keep it humid by moistening half the substrate and providing a small water dish.

This is my first scorp. Let me know if any changes are needed. I plan on this being a trial run in the scorp hobby. I'm advanced for T's at this point--I keep pokies, and baboons no problem.

It seems like scorps need more heat than T's, from what I've been reading. Most T's are kept at room temp by people in the hobby.

If this really won't work, I might save my money and get it later.
Or get a cobalt.

And I'm getting this from an LPS, so it might be a Red Claw Scorpion, which I'm fine with. This is just more to get a feel for the scorp hobby than anything else.

Also--I haz a drunk, please forgive any typos. I'm usually better. Also, search function not so great when inebriated. Kthxbai.:D
Sounds good to me. If you get a P. cav, they are kept exactly like an emp anyway so it really doesn't matter.

By the way, how's that hangover? :)

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds good to me. If you get a P. cav, they are kept exactly like an emp anyway so it really doesn't matter.

By the way, how's that hangover? :)
I'll let you know when I do babe. Hopefully not so bad. You might be a dude, but I'm leaving that in there. My wife is in the next room.
Dear god, a liter of beer is more than it looks like.
No more for me.

Glad that setup sounds good. If I have any dissenting opinions before the end of my workday tomrrow I can take them into account. My LPS is on the way home.

Watching Harry Potter. The guy who plays Cedric Diggory is kinda hawt. Not that I can tell, being a dude.

Mmk.

Heh, he said "beater." >_<

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'll let you know when I do babe. Hopefully not so bad. You might be a dude, but I'm leaving that in there. My wife is in the next room.
Dear god, a liter of beer is more than it looks like.
No more for me.

Glad that setup sounds good. If I have any dissenting opinions before the end of my workday tomrrow I can take them into account. My LPS is on the way home.

Watching Harry Potter. The guy who plays Cedric Diggory is kinda hawt. Not that I can tell, being a dude.

Mmk.

Heh, he said "beater." >_<
Haha okay. I assure you, I'm not a dude. {D

I started with Ts and moved to scorps, starting with a P. cav. I find them easier than Ts, honestly. I couldn't have asked for a better first scorp.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Easier than T's? Howso?
In my experience, scorps are hardier than some of the Ts I've kept. I've had a lot of issues, particularly with Avicularia, where I live. No matter what I do for the humidity, they die from molting issues. (I mean, I've misted, evaporated, and even had humidifiers on the cages) Never had any issues with any scorps I've ever kept.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my experience, scorps are hardier than some of the Ts I've kept. I've had a lot of issues, particularly with Avicularia, where I live. No matter what I do for the humidity, they die from molting issues. (I mean, I've misted, evaporated, and even had humidifiers on the cages) Never had any issues with any scorps I've ever kept.
Ah.
Oh! Question!
I know scorps only molt until maturity, and then stop.
Do they molt all in one piece, like T's, or do they drop bits off and replace them, like hermit crabs?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If they have a redclaw, grab it. They tend to be feistier. ;)
I have pokies, baboons, and psalmos. I think I can put up with that.
I'd prefer an actual P.imperator, since that would be more handleable, but I'm fine with a RedClaw too.:D

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have pokies, baboons, and psalmos. I think I can put up with that.
I'd prefer an actual P.imperator, since that would be more handleable, but I'm fine with a RedClaw too.:D
They are feisty but they are still handleable. Mine would sit on my wrist and gently pinch my skin to remind me that he still had claws. Apparently mine was docile for the species. I could put my fingers in his chelae without consequence. Jason's on the other hand would smear venom across the glass (but still able to be held).

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are feisty but they are still handleable. Mine would sit on my wrist and gently pinch my skin to remind me that he still had claws. Apparently mine was docile for the species. I could put my fingers in his chelae without consequence. Jason's on the other hand would smear venom across the glass (but still able to be held).
We'll just have to see what I end up with then.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OK! So! They have both P.imperator, and P.cavimanus. Are both communal species?
The price difference is 5$, and the P.imperator is full-grown, the P.cavimanus is about 1/2way grown.

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
The P.imperator is communal, with exceptions of course. They need to have more hiding spots than scorpions and the hides should have more than 1 exit so they don't get cornered.

The P.cavimanus has been known to be raised communally but at a much higher risk of cannibalism, you would need a very large tank, lots of food and lots of hides.

It's not a good idea at all to mix both species.

What you can do with a large vivarium is get some aquarium silicone and make a divider, It should go to the bottom so they don't tunnel under it and go almost to the top of the enclosure as well. They can climb over something their full body length by balancing on their tail.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got the P.cav. The P.imp was too big for the spare tank I had, and this is my first scorp, so I didn't want to buy a new tank for it.

Moose: I didn't hear that, I just didn't know, so I asked.

The P.cav is just a liddle guy. Maybe 2"?

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what i meant is that hermit crabs molt all in 1 piece just like a spider or scorpion.

congrats on the new addiction...i mean addition
moose

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
what i meant is that hermit crabs molt all in 1 piece just like a spider or scorpion.

congrats on the new addiction...i mean addition
moose
oh!
My wife's didn't.
She said they left parts all over the place.
Maybe they molted in one piece and then ate parts of it.