Im a goof

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Alright, so, surprise. I bought an A. avic from petco (bad me hypocrite i know i hate me too) because there was a huge sale goin on and it was 20 bucks for a 2.5 inch. Anyways. Ive been so worried about getting the enclosure ready for it (so i can get it out of that god awful plastic thing (which i modified for ventilation)) that i completely forgot to finish preparing the OTHER tank for the T I'm hoping to get on the 22nd. Which is only 2 days away. One or less depending on your timezone. So. WOOPS. But. Im digging the A. avic so far. Cute little tiger butt this dude's got. Will post pictures once i get it out of the aforementioned plastic thing. Its taken 3 crix in it, though, so I'm not too stressed about it. Unless it spontaneously molts, which ive layed awake worrying about a couple times, which is probably ridiculous. Ramble over.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
Congratulations on the new addition! :D I have to say, the double avic is one of my favorite tarantulas, even if I don't see myself owning one (or any tarantula, for that matter) any time soon.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Congratulations on the new addition! :D I have to say, the double avic is one of my favorite tarantulas, even if I don't see myself owning one (or any tarantula, for that matter) any time soon.
Not just any addition! Its the first in my collection. Ive gone down a couple invert paths previously, having a small colony of hermit crabs (which failed, i am sad to say) and a scorpion. Neither were too exciting and i got relatively bored. Which wasnt the reason for the crab failure. Tarantulas just seem much more exciting. And so far, it is.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
I unfortunately just lost one of mine, but A. avics were my first juvenile Ts also. Love them. Although mine are turning out to be a hobby mix closer to A. metallicas, i think.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
Not just any addition! Its the first in my collection. Ive gone down a couple invert paths previously, having a small colony of hermit crabs (which failed, i am sad to say) and a scorpion. Neither were too exciting and i got relatively bored. Which wasnt the reason for the crab failure. Tarantulas just seem much more exciting. And so far, it is.
Well, congratulations on your first ever T, then! :D I agree that scorpions are pretty boring; I have some sort of Heterometrus and she's a pet hole that sometimes keeps me up at night with all of her scrabbling. My mom says I can't have a T, so I'm considering starting a communal enclosure to make things more interesting, but considering the way my mom is, she'd be completely enamored with a tarantula if I happened to bring one home.

An arboreal is definitely more interesting and needs a bit more maintenance (good thing in my situation) than a terrestrial, which is why I have my mind open to an A. avic, but I'd be so pleased to get my hands on an adult female G. pulchripes one of these days.

Anyway, enjoy your new T! :D I love the fat hairy little guys! And if they aren't your cup of tea (or even if they are) you might want to try mantids. ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I like that name "double avic".:) Did you make that up? I always go crazy typing avic avic.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Yup you a goof, but then so are most of us.

I went to to get crickets. They had an avic. I ran to WallyWorld and found an enclosure (cereal box). I ran back and bought said avic ($10 at the counter). Ran home as it was still winter and drilled lots of holes. Set up the enclosure and put in the tarantula. Then I fretted as it went straight into premolt.

They are just like potato chips....

My I need an enclosure now masterpiece. I have since modified the top by removing the large inside lip and reversed the top for ease of access.

And the T in question. If you look close you can see the results of the less than perfect molt.

Last edited:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron

I went to to get crickets. They had an avic. I ran to WallyWorld and found an enclosure (cereal box). I ran back and bought said avic ($10 at the counter). Ran home as it was still winter and drilled lots of holes. Set up the enclosure and put in the tarantula. Then I fretted as it went straight into premolt.

My I need an enclosure now masterpiece. I have since modified the top by removing the large inside lip and reversed the top for ease of access.

And the T in question. If you look close you can see the results of the less than perfect molt.
Nice setup! Im paranoid about putting this one in a top opening container because it has a sweet little hammock RIGHT under the lid of this stupid little T hut thing. Made the first couple of feedings a nice little adrenaline rush.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Nice setup! Im paranoid about putting this one in a top opening container because it has a sweet little hammock RIGHT under the lid of this stupid little T hut thing. Made the first couple of feedings a nice little adrenaline rush.

Funny you mention that. I swapped the opening around so that it is like a trap door right above my avic's web.

14pokies

Arachnoprince

I use that same cereal container for my various Haplopelma species..Lol..

I love them because they are so thin and many can be stacked side by side taking up relatively little space.
It also doesn't take much sub to fill them so I can easily give my O/Bs a solid 10 inches of burrowing space.. If they were crystal clear they would be perfect and I would use them for many of my smaller arboreals..

GingerC

Arachnosquire
I like that name "double avic".:) Did you make that up? I always go crazy typing avic avic.
Yeah, saying "avic avic" just doesn't sound good, so I started referring to them as "double avics". I haven't seen anyone else call them that, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one to come up with it. :)

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Well. Sorry for anyone who got excited for me. The story is: a pet store with a pretty good selection that actually does a pretty good job of taking care of their animals of all types was having a big sale. They do it once a year and EVERYTHING in the store is discounted. I had asked if they were going to have spiders and i got "Oh, yeah, we're ordering all kinds of stuff. You can definitely expect a couple spiders." Aaaand then i get there and there are absolutely no spiders. Even the rosie theyd had for months was gone. So no second spider for me. I did get a bunch of supplies, though. Also, i finished the avics enclosure and its got a neat little hammock already built at the VERY top of the enclosure as I predicted would happen.

Attachments