Illegal Turtles

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i live in Tennessee where turtles are illegal to sell. i dont have a dire need to get one at this moment..but id tossed the idea around. my questions are as follows...

1.) What is a good on-line company to buy from?

2.) Are turtles illegal in most states? Or is Tennessee unique in this aspect?

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't believe it's illegal to own them in Oregon, except some native species, but it is illegal to ship them. So you might have difficulty get some sent to you.

Onagro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welcome to TN's world of underground turtles! No, I'm joking. When I was a kid, I wanted a turtle and lived in this state (why ban turtles when you can go to certain petshops and buy deathstalker scorpions is beyond me...) My grandparents simply bought one back from Florida. They were going to eat him, but I changed their minds. I don't think most of the vendors on Kingsnake.com know of our state's wackiness and will ship to you with "live reptile" printed on the box. I know people who have order them this way. The punishment for having a turtle without a permit is pretty lame too; they simply fine you $100-$200 for the offense and send the turtle to a place where little kids will point, poke, and throw change at the poor thing.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to TN's world of underground turtles! No, I'm joking. When I was a kid, I wanted a turtle and lived in this state (why ban turtles when you can go to certain petshops and buy deathstalker scorpions is beyond me...) My grandparents simply bought one back from Florida. They were going to eat him, but I changed their minds. I don't think most of the vendors on Kingsnake.com know of our state's wackiness and will ship to you with "live reptile" printed on the box. I know people who have order them this way. The punishment for having a turtle without a permit is pretty lame too; they simply fine you $100-$200 for the offense and send the turtle to a place where little kids will point, poke, and throw change at the poor thing.

awsome! thats good to know! and you are absolutely right about the rediculous-ness of tennessee's ban on them!

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As a whole, TN is a ridiculous state, one that I absolute loathe.
Thank you for your incredibly useful contribution to the thread.

I don't think it's a ridiculous ban at all, though I wish human nature was such that the problem could have been solved by educating the public instead. I believe it's the combined result of salmonella scares in the "old days" when nobody knew about proper reptile sanitation and everyone fed their turtles raw meat, and the fact that idiots have been releasing non-native species in places they shouldn't be, which just plain screws up the world.

Educating the public, however, would have taken much longer and gotten much poorer results than just banning turtles outright. It's a sad state of affairs. :(

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I don't think it's a ridiculous ban at all, though I wish human nature was such that the problem could have been solved by educating the public instead. I believe it's the combined result of salmonella scares in the "old days" when nobody knew about proper reptile sanitation and everyone fed their turtles raw meat, and the fact that idiots have been releasing non-native species in places they shouldn't be, which just plain screws up the world.

Educating the public, however, would have taken much longer and gotten much poorer results than just banning turtles outright. It's a sad state of affairs. :(
i can see the reasons WHY they are banned...but what about measures to be put in place so that people CAN own them...such as reptile care/sanitation booklets combined with a test and receive a license to own these animals? i know they have similar programs now...but they are hard to find, cost a fortune, etc. etc.

i just think its funny that someone here in tennessee can go out in their back yard and catch a copperhead or timber rattler and keep with without much consequence (yes it is illegal, but never enforced)

and as far as Tennessee being a rediculous state...please explain how that was relevant to the thread? and if you loathe the state that bad, there is a simple solution....dont come back.

Last edited:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i can see the reasons WHY they are banned...but what about measures to be put in place so that people CAN own them...
I guess it's just because there's nobody lobbying the right people and *asking* for it. Maybe someone should actually start a movement. :) I'd be all in favor of that, particularly the license to own them. Maybe then we could ensure that everyone GETTING a turtle actually knows how to care for them, instead of keeping them in dirty water with no UV light and feeding them lettuce. :mad:

Turtle threads are depressing. :(

Jaygnar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Back when I lived in North Carolina, my friends' mother bought them some red-eared slider turtles from some online company and they shipped them right to her. They were small turtles.(maybe two inches across) We later foundout that it was illegal for the company to sell turtles that small but they did it anyway. I think that laws like the one you are talking about are never enforced and as long as you are not afraid of the minute posibility of having to pay a fine, and youare NOT going to release the turtles into the wild, you could just order online.
Just promise me that you're not gonna mutate them and teach them ninjitsu.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Back when I lived in North Carolina, my friends' mother bought them some red-eared slider turtles from some online company and they shipped them right to her. They were small turtles.(maybe two inches across) We later foundout that it was illegal for the company to sell turtles that small but they did it anyway. I think that laws like the one you are talking about are never enforced and as long as you are not afraid of the minute posibility of having to pay a fine, and youare NOT going to release the turtles into the wild, you could just order online.
Just promise me that you're not gonna mutate them and teach them ninjitsu.

lol!!!! aww..come on!!! do you know how LONG it has taken to perfect the formula in this green ooze ive got?! i PROMISE ive hired one of the best martial arts instructors available to train them safely and teach them dicipline and respect! {D

on a more serious note...thats probly what i will end up doing is just ordering them online.

Khaz Rhoz Zek

Arachnopeon

(
Given the fact that the thread already received replies that answered the original question, I didn't think it would be too outlandish to chime in on a separate note. Since I seem to have offended you and a few others, allow me to extend you a heartfelt and sincere apology: <edit> and have a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are a lot of banned animals in California that you can have in other states. They include hedgehogs, ferrets, African clawed toads, sugar gliders, monkeys, kinkajous, skunks, wolf hybrids...
I really want a wolf/wiernerdog too. Imagine a wolf/poodle hybrid...:)

Anyways, There used to be a ban on turtles under 4" in CA because they were afraid children would get salmonella. I see them for sale in a lot of pet stores now so I'm guessing the ban was lifted or just not enforced anymore.

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Neww Jersey has a fairly long list of reptiles and amphibians that you can't have including turtles, larval salamanders, crocodilians, anacondas, any and all venomous snakes and numerous morphs of corn snakes. Some I can agree with, some I can't. I'm not allowed to have an Okeetee Corn Snake but I can have an Androctonus australis?

http://www.repticon.com/njspecies.pdf

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Neww Jersey has a fairly long list of reptiles and amphibians that you can't have including turtles, larval salamanders, crocodilians, anacondas, any and all venomous snakes and numerous morphs of corn snakes. Some I can agree with, some I can't. I'm not allowed to have an Okeetee Corn Snake but I can have an Androctonus australis?

http://www.repticon.com/njspecies.pdf
REALLY?! WOW! i guess i dont have it too bad in TN then...crocodilians, anacondas, venomous snakes (with permit), and all corn snakes are all legal here. why are corn snake morphs illegal?

Onagro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whoa, glad I'm not in New Jersey. The thing about the turtle law here is that it's rarely enforced at all. There's a teacher who works at middle school around here with a turtle whose been in her room since the school opened. One day, a policeman came to the room and complimented the turtle and asked where he could find one! Ironically, I know someone whose turtle was taken away buy the state. It was a beautiful white box turtle with black eyes. His intent was to breed it and just raise the babies for himself. They fined him and sent the turtle to live at some children's education thing until it died last year from eating a toy.:(

What's sad was the man who found it was far more qualified than the state officals to raise the turtle. It's even worse considering box turtles are our state reptile but they have no legal protection here at all.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I belive it is a law because they are somewhat unsanitary. Could be wrong though. I'd say go out and catch one, thats more fun. :)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd say go out and catch one, thats more fun.
Psst, wild animals have parasites, diseases, are possibly more likely to stress, and won't be able to breed and maintain the population. Enough turtles are endangered as it is. :embarrassed:

Captive bred all the way. :)

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
QUOTE]

Well said{D
Check out reptileauctions.com....know the risks, and wheigh them crefully. Most places are a dont ask dont tell policy.....ie you send money they send the turtles.....but that is because the definitions of the laws are somewhat grey in thier exact definition. IE here in along the coast baby turtles are illegal to sell as pets...but you can sell them with no special permits as long as they are for educational purposes or scientific research. no paperwork only a spoken agreement.
IMO I would avoid a turtle alltogether, a SW aquarium requires less maintenance (a fo tank...not a reef).

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Psst, wild animals have parasites, diseases, are possibly more likely to stress, and won't be able to breed and maintain the population. Enough turtles are endangered as it is. :embarrassed:

Captive bred all the way. :)
B<edit>. People should have to catch their own turtles. That way they will have some idea of what needs a turtle has. Instead of posting on a forum- I bought a turtle what do I feed it and what do I put it in.

Also, turtles arent endangerd by people catching their own, they are endangered by a few people catching them to sell to other people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
B<edit>. People should have to catch their own turtles. That way they will have some idea of what needs a turtle has.
This is not earth logic. Any idiot can catch a wild turtle, just like any idiot can buy a turtle. They aren't any more likely to educate themselves on proper captive care afterward.

Also, turtles arent endangerd by people catching their own, they are endangered by a few people catching them to sell to other people.
Turtles are endangered by being removed from the wild so that they cannot breed more wild babies. Whether they're sold to other people afterwards isn't going to change that.

(Yes, obviously pollution and habitat destruction are ALSO causes of turtles becoming endangered, but people removing potential breeders sure as censored ain't helping! :mad: )