If your spouse wanted to buy a thoughtful gift what would you want?

Tloverswifey

Arachnopeon
What are some (less than $30) gift ideas that would be thoughtful for someone in the hobby?

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I don't really know about the prices but maybe some sort of microscope for sexing smaller tarantulas?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
BTS (British tarantula society) membership, though for under $30 you will only be able to get the digital version (no physical copy of the journals)

My next suggestion would be a book or an enclosure, but finding nice ones for under 30 might be challenging

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I don't really know about the prices but maybe some sort of microscope for sexing smaller tarantulas?
Oh. That is a good one too. My GF got me a cheap one from amazon for like 15 bucks and i use it ALL THE TIME! :)

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Hmmm....there are a few things I can think of. Small/ nano Exo terras and large critter keepers/ breeding boxes are always a good gift. Also, long metal feeding tongs, enclosure accessories like cork bark, decorations, etc. Gift cards for Jamie's Tarantulas or Fear Not Tarantulas are also a great and much appreciated gift! Maybe also a beautiful print of a Gooty Sapphire Ornamental or something that they can hang in their tarantula room.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I just remembered about those big posters from arachnogear, for example they have amazing Poecilotheria genus poster, costs 28$ so too much to justify buying it myself but I bet it would make a great present.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Something with a blade(s). Yes, some of us have other interests that even exceed arachnids.

Tloverswifey

Arachnopeon
A spider?
Any suggestions within my price range? He has 60+ Ts.. so, I have no clue where to even start. I would love to buy him another what used to be known as Smithi (but is now not called that and I am blanking what it is now) because it was his first T 11 years ago... would that be in the price range as a sling?

Something with a blade(s). Yes, some of us have other interests that even exceed arachnids.
I want to get him something specific to this hobby as I want to show my support in a tangible and thoughtful way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eukio

Arachnosquire
A neato torpedo plastic container if your spouse was planing a rehouse soon with some of the trimmings: a starter burrow, substrate, etc.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I want to get him something specific to this hobby as I want to show my support in a tangible and thoughtful way.
Victorinox Explorer, it’s a Swiss Army Knife that he can keep at his spider station. I use mine constantly for cutting up meal worms, opening stuck enclosure lids, has a magnifying glass that helps sexing molts, it’s a hobby specific tool. Heck, this hobby is probably one of the few places there is actually a practical use for that hook tool. It’s great for moving plastic plants, etc., that the little beasties may be hiding under and you don’t want to get your fingers too close. Plus, you can actually use it to complete light duty chores around the house.

Remarks by a real hobbyist, not a paid endorser for Victorinox Corporation.

Edit: My tool is actually the Evolution S54 model. It’s about $30 (US) more expensive than the Explorer and has a couple more tools, like a wood saw to shape and trim cork bark, but he may not need the compass, so I suggested the explorer.

Can you tell I swear by these things?

Last edited:

Tloverswifey

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your ideas! I appreciate you taking the time to reply and give great suggestions for gifts!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Any suggestions within my price range? He has 60+ Ts.. so, I have no clue where to even start. I would love to buy him another what used to be known as Smithi (but is now not called that and I am blanking what it is now) because it was his first T 11 years ago... would that be in the price range as a sling?
B.smithi is now B.hamorii :)
I think 30 dollars should get you at least a sling, even in the US.
I think you're absolutely great, supporting him this way :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
B.smithi is now B.hamorii :)
I think 30 dollars should get you at least a sling, even in the US.
I think you're absolutely great, supporting him this way :)
Now I know I'm not the most "go with the flow" sort but I'd be mad if someone bought me a random invert.

Not ungrateful mad but it's my pet and I'd have liked to choose my own mad.

So maybe a voucher if they're available? That shows you where absolutely thinking about their passion whilst allowing them to pick their own pet.

Failing that money with a little hand written note. "Tarantula money".

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Now I know I'm not the most "go with the flow" sort but I'd be mad if someone bought me a random invert.

Not ungrateful mad but it's my pet and I'd have liked to choose my own mad.

So maybe a voucher if they're available? That shows you where absolutely thinking about their passion whilst allowing them to pick their own pet.

Failing that money with a little hand written note. "Tarantula money".
I think she wanted it to be a sort of trip down memory lane-kind of thing? Not just a 'random invert'...

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I don't think getting a live animal is good idea. Better to leave getting new specimens to him, unless it's something expensive that you know he really wants but isn't willing to pay so much for. Other than that, I'd say some sort of accessories like knives, microscopes, maybe that poster I talked about could be pretty cool.

There are also those Lucas the Spider plushies, which I find really cute. They are in your price range, so maybe it's worth considering something like that? (well, don't mine me, I'm biased for sure since we share the same name :banghead:)