If you were only allowed to keep one genus, which one would you pick and why?

Napier19

Arachnopeon
Don't think I coukd narrow it to one. I like having a variety. I would however narrow it down to NW only. Ive come to the conclusion that OWs are over rated. I've got 3 and I never see them. They are afraid of their own shadow. If I walk up to the enclosure the wrong way they're gone in the blink of an eye. NW can provide you with both tremendous colors and webbing making fantastic displays.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I find it hard to choose just 1 as I love Grammostola, Brachypelma, Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus but I've got a secret thing for Thrixopelma sp there's so much diversity in such a small genus

Last edited:

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Couldn't really pick one. As I'm so fussy, i dislike a lot of species in one genus lol.

I have yet to find a genus that i like all species in it, unless it's a tiny genus like Heteroscodra .

So i will just go with Avicularia because they're the cutest slings, and fluffy.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
A female Brachypelma smithi.

Even though mine thinks she is an avic since she's on the side a lot but whatever I still love her :p

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
This makes me sad to choose! I guess I'd have to pick Brachypelma be use I'm confident keeping them, but man...... Grammostola is cool too..... And what about GBB's?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
For me, mine would definitely have to be the Aphonopelma genus, namely the Aphonopelma chalcodes. Extremely long lived, slow growers, gorgeous in their muted earth colors, hardy, and from North America (would love to have a native T). An A. Chalcodes is on my list and most likely will be my 3rd tarantula! I adore my 2 monsters, but something about having a very long lived tarantula is super appealing to me.
I just noticed that petcenterusa has a bunch of these right now, just in case you are curious. I kind of want one, but I am really looking for a A. Moderatum.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd be very happy to keep Aphonopelma for their longevity, large range of sizes, range of temperaments, and have you seen A. moorei? A. moderatum are drop-dead gorgeous too.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I'm gonna go with @cold blood and @louise f : Psalmopoeus. Though I am loving my new Poecilotheria regalis so Poecs could be another contender...just have more time with Psalmos right now though (but getting another Poec, P. metallica, this Wednesday :D).

My P. cam is the most fun T I have to feed. Only thing that comes close is my A. genic, but my cambridgei is a more lithe, athletic, FAST hunter whereas my geniculata is just a pile driving cricket stomping juggernaut.

Estein

Arachnoknight
I love those Grammostola. Sweet, hardy, long-lived, great eaters, and so handsome!

Alana

Arachnopeon
I don't think I could narrow it down to one. I'm really loving Avicularia, Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus at the moment.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
I just noticed that petcenterusa has a bunch of these right now, just in case you are curious. I kind of want one, but I am really looking for a A. Moderatum.
Oh I am very interested and thanks for the heads up! I'm not sure if I would rather get a sling or a juvi female for a bit more. My finger is itching and I'm having to fight the urge to order one right now haha! The modertums are gorgeous too... Haven't seen many of them for sale. I guess I really just find every type of T gorgeous in their own rights xD show me a species and I'll want to get one...

Jeff23

Arachnolord
If I only go by what I already own and am familiar it would clearly be Avic's. I now own six different species and see multiple more I don't own but would like to obtain.

But I am excited to get my first Psalmopoeus genus soon. I am very interested in cambridgei & pulcher. I am also curious about ecclesiasticus and emeraldus, but I am struggling to find much information about them.

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'm going to jump back in and say that I'd be happy with just Grammastola species as well as Aphonopelma species. Would trade my collection for various species of either haha.