If you could only breed one type of t..

Travis21v4

Arachnopeon
If you could only breed one t what would it be? Not looking for the most expensive or anything. Figure in ease of breeding, sac size, price and everything in general?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's impossible to breed one tarantula. Some species of scorpion are parthenogenic, but no tarantula is.

Now, if I'm allowed two spiders, then I'd choose anything Euathlus ;)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. metallica, P. pulcher, or H. maculata.

I will get my chance on the last one one of these days.

*Edit* I removed the P. irminia from my list. I have already bred them and had a successful sac.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I dont think I would be able to only breed one species. Maybe species from only one continent... But even that would be a struggle.

It would be nice to breed the species that more endangered in the wild. It would be a pleasure to do so.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A. sp. amazonica, A. huriana, B. klaasi, B. albiceps, A. sp. Kwitara Rivera, E. sp. Red., E. sp. Yellow, A. minatrix., I. mira, A. bicegoi... And that is just a few off the top of my head.

If you are going to breed, you should pick the species carefully. There are many species that fit your description more/less but are QUITE common and there's no "reason" to breed them at this point in time.

However, some species for whatever reason, slip in/out of the hobby.

Take the Avic, A. huriana, many years ago it was readily available. Now the only ones available for the past few years have been imports. It's slipped out of the hobby. I have a male A. huriana that I doubt will get bred.

The same is true for A. bicgeoi. I'd be surprised if more than 10 people in the USA have this Avic now. I had one back in ~2007, no more. I haven't seen them since for sale.

Any of the ones I listed up top could easily slip out of the hobby for good IMO, I hope I'm wrong.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Have never bred, I would still say G pulchra. Don't know how difficult, but I know they have a lower amount of slings and it's #1 on my "Want List"

cold blood

Staff member
If I was magically told I could only breed one species forever it would need to meet some requirements. 1. It would need to be really desirable...I want to be able to move the slings and not sit on them forever. 2. It would have smaller sacs, as large sac sizes can easily flood a market in time, which would eventually lead to slings you couldn't get rid of easily or get anything for. 3. It should be something the hobby never seems to have enough of. For this I would choose a species where supply will probably never exceed, or even reach demand...which leads back to #2....cause if its the only thing I breed, I want to get something for them with the least possibility of crashing prices. This effectively closes the door on many species that are either ridiculously easy to breed or give ridiculously large sacs.

I would breed a member of Xenesthis, probably immanis.

Runner ups would be Pamphobetous, but with the mess the genus is, locating a properly identified male(s) could pose tricky.

A species of Theraposa would be good, but dealing with those and only a bunch of those and their military grade hairs...no thanks, Avics bother me enough...better choice for someone else's "only breeder t", not mine. GBB would be good, but they're such a notorious pain that it might get annoying constantly buying, raising and looking for MMs.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It's impossible to breed one tarantula. Some species of scorpion are parthenogenic, but no tarantula is.

Now, if I'm allowed two spiders, then I'd choose anything Euathlus ;)
They said one species wisenheimer. :p

If I could only breed one species I'd pick any one of the many I like and then force everyone else I know (I'm looking at you family) to breed the rest of the ones I want for me. I'm all about the loopholes. :D

Really, I don't think I could narrow it down to just one species. Luckily this is not a likely scenario.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The first tarantula I ever saw that made me say "I have to have one of those" is B. albiceps so I would probably pick that. A close second would be G. pulchra.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
M balfouri or h incei

I find communal species far more fascinating and the multiple generational cycle would be a blessing to witness, I think I would be content with only breeding them

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pterinochilus murinus, without a second thought. And if no one wants them, I WILL KEEP ALL THE ORANGE BITEY THINGS. I love them.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
OK don't shoot me. I know they have enormous sac's, aren't in short supply, blah blah, Etc. Etc. but

Acanthoscurria geniculata,

because to my way of thinking they are the absolute perfect T. Size-beauty-exceptional food responce-visibility, they have it all.