If you could have but one..

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Given the law of averages, let alone the theory that every action you take would have to have been done exactly the same in the past, given the scope of infinity, I'm sure this question has been asked. However, for fun's sake..

If you had to make a choice, what one spider would you keep? Let's say for arguments sake, it has to be one that's atleast occasionally available in the hobby. What are your reasons behind the choice? And for the hell of it, how about that one dream T you know you'll probably never see, but would jump at the chance to keep?

My realistic choice, personally, would be the C. fasciatum. For some reason, I just think this is the single coolest T of them all.

My unrealistic choice, would be that "Cyclosternum pentaloris" or whatever it was really called that brought up discussion a while back, whether or not it still exists, or was a short-term hybrid, or what have you.

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Terrible, terrible premise you put forth here; choosing one T is like choosing one band to listen to, or one food to eat - it's just not right. Still, if I could only have one it would be a toss up between A. geniculata and B. emilia. I'd really just have to flip a coin when the time came to make the choice.

My dream T is the same as yours: give me my C. pentalore, or whatever the T is pictured on West's site under that name.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Conipto,
Hmmmm...Let's see...to keep..my pulchra...Dream t..hmmmm..P. metallica. Or. M. robustum. :D (Hey, a girl's gotta dream big..)
Peace,
Gillian

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Realistically, C. thorelli.

Unrealistically, S. kulluensis.

Both are totally awesome, that's why.

-Jeremy

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm.

I'm not sure which tarantula I would most like to have. There are plenty I don't have that I REALLY want. But since I haven't had any experience with those species, I wouldn't want to say that I would like to own that species most of all.

So I'm going to limit my nominees to the tarantulas I already own. If I had to get rid of all but one of my tarantulas (and I only own five), I would probably keep my usambar baboon.

Sure, it's a low-end tarantula. But it's aggressive (which is interesting), and it's not too aggressive to be handled (and I like handling my tarantulas). And though this species probably isn't on anyone's list of prettiest tarantulas, I think it looks quite nice.

L. cristata comes in at a close second, because it's SO very pretty.

As far as my fantasy species, I would probably say Poecilotheria miranda. It's in the "fantasy" category partly because I'm still afraid of pokies. And furthermore, I must say that the only picture I've seen of P. metallica was on Rick West's site. And a part of me doesn't want to believe that that pic is real. I have NEVER seen a tarantula with such amazing coloration.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(semi) Realistically, A. moorea.

Dreamin', a juvi female Hadronyche versuta. Or as long as I'm dreamin', a male-female pair. :D

Atrax

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by whoami?
And furthermore, I must say that the only picture I've seen of P. metallica was on Rick West's site. And a part of me doesn't want to believe that that pic is real. I have NEVER seen a tarantula with such amazing coloration.
Oh, it's real alright, just for your entertainment, there's another photo of a P.metallica on Guy Tansley's site : http://www.giantspiders.com taken by Peter Kirk.

Enjoy!

Steve

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! Is Peter Kirk's pic of the same specimen as Rick's pic?

Atrax

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto

If you had to make a choice, what one spider would you keep?
Maybe something beyond obscure like Stromatopelma satanus (Satan's Tree Spider) just because of that damn funky name and the fact they are a jet black arboreal with bright red setae on the legs.

Doesn't that sound nice???? And if anyone finds a photo of one, let me know!!!!

Steve

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
(semi) Realistically, A. moorea.

Dreamin', a juvi female Hadronyche versuta. Or as long as I'm dreamin', a male-female pair. :D

Atrax
Well, I won't rub it in that I've had one (H. versuta).......

Sorry Atrax!!

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Wow! Is Peter Kirk's pic of the same specimen as Rick's pic?

Atrax
I don't know, it's possible, being that the specimen(s) were photographed on the same piece of wood.

Steve

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Well, I won't rub it in that I've had one (H. versuta).......

Sorry Atrax!!
I thought you said you wouldn't rub it in. ;) Lucky!
Did ou collect your's personally?

Atrax

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i probaly go with keeping P. regalis, dream t? hmmm, P. metallica or P. miranda for sure.--Jeff

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i love my a. geniculata. again, i dig her symmetry.

but i want my l. cristata back. i miss her. her pet pal is so empty...

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will go on a limb here and say I would keep Buddy my G. Rosea. She was my first T and will always be my fav. She actually has a lot of personality compared to my others.

Dream T... hmmm... thats a really tough question because there arent too many that I see and like that I havent bought for myself... I guess I would probably have to say An Australian Birdeater because I can't get Aussie spiders.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hmmm..

My favorite will be my Trinidad Chevron!

My dream T would be P.mettalica or P.miranda

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is a really tough one, but if I could keep only one, it would be a Grammastola pulchra. They are just a most awesome tarantula. Great size, big bodied, wonderful termperment.

For a dream tarantula, it would absolutely be Spelopelma reddelli. Ever since I saw the Rick West special and saw the blind cave tarantulas, I've wanted one. Way too cool!