If spiders could talk....

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
I hope it's not going into molt I need to transport it from my mum's place back to a flat in a few days it's only a 20 minute drive also do you know if I should keep it in its tank in the car or in a jar with lid damp tissue and air holes? I'm guessing second is fine as that how they get delivered but I was worried that this would stress it out when it's still getting used to it's tank

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
Moving a spider in molt can kill it, stress is very bad. If it is in pre-molt you can move it but stress can still cause it to molt prematurely and you can have problems. It takes 7-10 days sometimes longer to acclimate to its new home. I just posted my pictures on my thread. You can see what different stages of pre-molt look like. My T. albo is the farthest along.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Moving a spider in molt can kill it, stress is very bad. If it is in pre-molt you can move it but stress can still cause it to molt prematurely and you can have problems. It takes 7-10 days sometimes longer to acclimate to its new home. I just posted my pictures on my thread. You can see what different stages of pre-molt look like. My T. albo is the farthest along.
Is it a high chance it's in pre molt?

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
Its abdomen is enlarged and it is rather dark colored so I would say there is a good chance that yea its in pre-molt or starting it.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Thanks 🙂 Is it likely to die if I move it in pre molt or is death more of a risk during molt?

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
Also get rid of that paper towel. It doesn't need more moisture than a water dish. Unless that is your water dish, in that case get rid of the paper towel and use a small bottle cap or equivalent.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Tarantulas are not THAT fragile. Don't stress yourself. If you need to drive it somewhere, just do it gently. It'll be fine. Countless tarantulas have molted successfully in tiny tubs during shipping.

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas are not THAT fragile. Don't stress yourself. If you need to drive it somewhere, just do it gently. It'll be fine. Countless tarantulas have molted successfully in tiny tubs during shipping.
And countless more have died trying to molt while in shipping. Why risk it if you can wait? I agree if you have no choice but to move it will most likely survive. Still not something I would risk.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Yea that's true but I guess we can never know I'm just trying to weigh up pros and cons of moving it if it is in pre molt but then again it might not be

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
Ok the Brachy is a hardy genus as long as its just pre-molt you should be ok moving, they tend to take a while. My T. albo used to be classed as a Brachy and it has been in pre molt for a month and in its previous molts it never had a single issue. However watch it close if it flips over onto its back or pops the carapace do not move it.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
Ok the Brachy is a hardy genus as long as its just pre-molt you should be ok moving, they tend to take a while. My T. albo used to be classed as a Brachy and it has been in pre molt for a month and in its previous molts it never had a single issue. However watch it close if it flips over onto its back or pops the carapace do not move it.
Ok he seems ok at the moment anyway he's just chilling in his corner

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
"Excuse me, could you help me with this escape hatch? I'm trying to get to the wilds so I can make two thousand babies." Hairy the LP

Last edited: