if it turns out im allergic to my rose hair tarantula will an epi pen do?

insane247

Arachnosquire
i was actually wondering about the bite, not the hairs. i have a lot of allergies and when i bought the spider the pet store workers made it seem like i would likely be allergic to it if i had allergies to bees

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was actually wondering about the bite, not the hairs. i have a lot of allergies and when i bought the spider the pet store workers made it seem like i would likely be allergic to it if i had allergies to bees
Pet store workers are pretty ignorant when it comes to tarantulas. I hope this thread has assuaged your fears some.

When Stan Schultz tells you that you would make history if you somehow were allergic to its bite, I would feel pretty convinced that there was very little chance that I would ever have to worry about it.:)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow! You know, I never thought of that. Well, I've learned my fact for the day!

I guess my skin is too thick or I'm too insensitive because I've never suffered little marks or cuts from tarantula claws.

On the other hand, I've reacted to having one of the giant centipedes crawling over my arms and neck. It was Scolopendra heros castaneiceps from west Texas (click the thumbnail for a larger version):

(Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

You could tell exactly where the critter had run by the tracks of little red, itchy marks on my skin. They disappeared within 24 hours.

See as well http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40941.

well, since i am at an all day event i am probably sweaty and dirty... that could make a big difference for random little irritants to get into the microwounds. and i could just have a slightly elevated histamine reaction to minor wounds. i used to be a fast healer when i was younger.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pet store workers are pretty ignorant when it comes to tarantulas. ...
Actually, about 80% of them are abysmally ignorant about tarantulas. You have no idea how many pet shops I've been in and heard clerks spouting all kinds of horse pucky about tarantulas WHILE THEY STOOD IN FRONT OF A REVOLVING RACK THAT HAD BOTH SAM MARSHALL'S (Tarantulas and Other Arachnids, http://www.barronseduc.com/0764114638.html) AND OUR BOOK ON IT! That's why I included such a strong admonition in Stan's Rant (http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html).

God must have loved ignoramuses, ...

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, since i am at an all day event i am probably sweaty and dirty... that could make a big difference for random little irritants to get into the microwounds. and i could just have a slightly elevated histamine reaction to minor wounds. i used to be a fast healer when i was younger.
old people lol

wait, I'm older then you, crap...

insane247

Arachnosquire
i didnt know the claws could cause an allergic reaction. that would explain why i have a bit of a burning itch when i handle her. i just thought that was the hairs which confused me because isnt it the root of the hair that causes the reaction?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Long story short...

Tarantula venom is made of peptide toxins...not protein toxins like most venoms.

Your immune system is designed to detect proteins. Peptides are the building blocks of proteins, and are much smaller molecules. The result is that peptide-based tarantula venoms "fly under the radar" regarding your immune system: you will NOT have ANY kind of immune reaction to the venom. It's the next best thing to impossible to have an allergic reaction to a tarantula bite, even if you're highly allergic to other venoms such as bee, scorpion, snake, or other spider venoms.