If I wanted one (just 1!) baboon...

boina

Lady of the mites
which one should I get?

Well, the next expo is coming up... in a month, ok, but I got to be prepared, right?
I'm still trying to persuade myself not to go (or buy a horse instead...:wacky:), but we all know how that will go (and I can't afford the horse).
So, on top of my To Buy list is a P. rufilata, but I'm kind of thinking about getting a baboon. I don't have any typical baboon in my collection, although I've a M. balfouri group (does that count?) and I recently got an E. olivacea. I love this olivacea. So, I might get a more typical baboon - the terrestrial kind. Which one would you recommend?

- No pet hole, please, I want to see the T, if not constantly then at least once in a while.
- No horns! Those horns freak me out for some reason. I don't want a T with horns.
- No bland brown. A pretty pattern would be nice.

Any recommendations?

Shamrock

Arachnolover
I love the H maculata, although they are arboreal. Dont really know the rest that well as we are not allowed to keep most baboons here in South Africa. I think @KezyGLA wil be more of help here.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I love all my "baboon"-species, so it´s hard to pick just one, but E.pachypus would be a nice choice for a first one. They are incredible sweet and well-tempered for a "baboon" species :). If you want something bigger, you have P. muticus of course.

Timc

Arachnosquire
Well if you wanted just one I wouldn't get any because you'll end up going down the rabbit hole:p

I'm personally a fan of the classic OBT. The ones I've owned have been out quite a bit, and they're beautiful. Plus they're inexpensive so they won't hurt the horse fund too much.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Well if you wanted just one I wouldn't get any because you'll end up going down the rabbit hole:p

I'm personally a fan of the classic OBT. The ones I've owned have been out quite a bit, and they're beautiful. Plus they're inexpensive so they won't hurt the horse fund too much.
IME that depends on how you house them. If housed as one should African terrestrials (with lots of substrate) most of them will spend 99% of the time inside of their burrows. OBTs are incredible adaptable though, and if given less substrate, a hide and some anchor points, they will web down the whole enclosure and be more visible. They would also act more as a "jack-in-the-box" when startled, so those kind of setups comes with their own set of risks :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Oooook.

The toughest part of this is the pet hole bit. Seeing as most baboon species are obligate burrowers.

I would say Monocentropus balfouri. They are attractive species with quite a forgiving nature. They are out on show quite regularly. They can be kept communal. They are quite good eaters too. Its gotta be one of the best.

The genus with sp. that is out on show most often is Ceratogyrus. However you dont like the horns. In which case I would recommend the Ceratogyrus meridionalis... but It is brownish! see below -

http://www.zoo-ekzo.ru/sites/defaul...ic/ceratogyrus_meridionalis.jpg?itok=QeN6N3AG

My second choice for you if you want something a little more colorful, it would have to be P. murinus OCF, RCF or UMV. These can be kept with just enough substrate to make a short burrow and some foliage of sorts around it so it can make a safe home. Housing it this way will let you be able to see it more often. And lets face it. Its a classic!

Some other species that I would recommend is Harpactira namaquensis. These are beautiful Ts and can be seen out quite a lot IME. The same goes for Harpactira baviana, Harpactira dictator and Harpactira sp. danielskuil. These can all manage quite nicely without giving generous amounts of substrate. They are all attractive sp. too!

Out of all I would say H. namaquensis for the win. Its beautiful, the colours just dont get picked up well on photo. Its ridiculous aha. It is of a more gentle disposition similar to M. balfouri. Though unlike balfouri it is less likely to bolt. They are quite active too. My oldest female has climbed out on my hands when doing maintanence many and is a breeze to put back in her home. No drama. I have never had a threat pose from any of mine. My second choice would be M. balfouri.

But hey its your decision at the end of the day. Give google a go and see what you like the look of :D..

.. lets face it though, once you pop, you cant stop. The baboon bug is strong!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
H. maculata is a beautiful arboreal baboon. Though it is very reclusive. And I would avoid the goddess P. muticus as it is definition of pet hole ahaha

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ruddy hell fire that's harder than Chinese algebra!!!!!!!

I'm being completely biased and although there are many absolutely beautiful baboons I'd pick Idiothele mira just for their hunting habits. They're tiny beautiful assassins.

Apologies to all those that have seen these before but tough.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ruddy hell fire that's harder than Chinese algebra!!!!!!!

I'm being completely biased and although there are many absolutely beautiful baboons I'd pick Idiothele mira just for their hunting habits. They're tiny beautiful assassins.

Apologies to all those that have seen these before but tough.

I would have mentioned this too as I love them but a trapdoor is worse than a hole :rofl:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I would have mentioned this too as I love them but a trapdoor is worse than a hole :rofl:
My lass is completely out most nights.

Even if she wasn't I genuinely believe their hunting technique is enough to push them to first place.

sasker

Arachnoprince
There are some very pretty baboons on the market. I am also researching them because I am considering taking the plunge into OW species. One that I find particularly attractive is the Augacephalus ezendami. What I understood so far is that they also burrow quite a lot and I am not sure if it is visible often enough (Could someone fill us in?). Also, there is a huge difference in size between the sexes. The males are so small, it is ridiculous. So if you are lucky, your sling turns out to be a female. Otherwise...

But look at those colours! Isn't it a beauty?
augacephalus-ezendami.jpg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
My lass is completely out most nights.

Even if she wasn't I genuinely believe their hunting technique is enough to push them to first place.
I had an af that didnt make a trapdoor. She just made a burrow in the corner of her tub and was on show pretty much always. But finding one like that is like winning the lottery. You have struck gold.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I had an af that didnt make a trapdoor. She just made a burroe in the corner of her tub and was on show pretty much always. But finding one like that is like winning the lottery. You have struck gold.
Ah right. Well I can only comment on my experience.

Heteroscodra muculata is the most beautiful baboon in my eyes. I get to see my lass most nights although she's extremely skittish so I'm yet to get a pic with my camera. I've just got this via my phone.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Heteroscodra muculata is the most beautiful baboon in my eyes.
That's probably the scariest tarantula for me. It's an african arboreal which means lightning fast defensive T with a potent venom and to top it off it looks like a Rorschach chart of death. :eek:

basin79

ArachnoGod
That's probably the scariest tarantula for me. It's an african arboreal which means lightning fast defensive T with a potent venom and to top it off it looks like a Rorschach chart of death. :eek:
Absolutely no need to be scared of any T.

They ALL should be respected though.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Personally, I'd have to recommend either an OBT or S. cakceatum/H. mac. The OBT because my fenale is always out and is gorgeous, being bright orange with black hihlights. They grow fast and are pretty cheap, so you could buy 3-5 slings to try and get a few females ;) As for the arboreal baboons, I love my S. cal I got recently. They can be pet holes, but I have seen my explore quite a few times, and they are a gorgous green. H. macs are great too, just make sure if you want either of the arboreal baboons that they are 100% female. The males are very drab, being brown or black and don't really get the army green (S. cal) or bone white (H. mac) of the females. Either way, you are hard pressed to find a lot outside of that. Almost all OW are OB, just how much they do it :D. Also, can't recommend P. rufilata enough. Great size and beautiful colors. I'd go for a P. rufilata over almost any OW baboon ;)

boina

Lady of the mites
Wow, so many great recommendations!!

@KezyGLA I already have my group of 3 M. balbouri, they were my introduction to OWs about a year ago, but I don't think they are a typical baboon (although, yes they are a baboon, I know, but not typical). But I'll definitely consider the H. namaquensis and the C. meridionalis, too. A Ceratogyrus without horn sounds quite nice.

@basin79 I love the coloring of the I. mira, but I fear I might not see too much of it.

H. mac is actually a T I've always admired but I've heared they often hide a lot. And the speed and venom and skittishness combined scare me a bit - I'm a wuss, I know. Same goes for the S. cal. Also, I want a terrestrial.

I might get an OBT, though - seems an obvious choice, but again, either I might have a T that's burrowed away for most of the time or a jack-in-the-box. Both is not really what I'm looking for.

Kezy's description of the H. namaquensis as a more gentle T with a disposition like a less skittish balfouri intrigued me, though, so at the moment that seems to be my preference. And yes, I know disposition can vary.

Edit: And I just saw that @KezyGLA has some advertised on Terraristik... hmmmmm