Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

If A Brocklehursti doesn't exist, what do I have?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by aarachnid, Sep 16, 2019.

1. aarachnid

aarachnid Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I went to an expo this weekend with my heart set on getting a pair of A Genic slings because I had heard they are very fast growing. My partner and I got there late, and they were all sold out. A vendor suggested I get an A Brocklehursti instead. She described them as being cousins that grew about the same, had the same care, and she showed me that the adults look a lighter version (color-wise) version of A Genic. After googling, I found out this is an outdated name. I just want to make sure, does this look like an A Theraphoides sling? Just want to make sure I'm taking care of this critter correctly, and that I know what to expect as it grows.

Attached Files:

• 07.jpeg
      07.jpeg
      File size:
      242.3 KB
      Views:
    • 06.jpeg
      06.jpeg
      File size:
      275.3 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

IIRC, hobby A. brocklehursti is A. geniculata

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. aarachnid

Huh? Guess I ended up with what I wanted in the end, then..?

4. The Grym Reaper

Yeah, just looked it up, the A. brocklehursti sold in the hobby are just a regional variant of A. geniculata, the real A. brocklehursti is completely different spider which was found to be a junior synonym of A. theraphosoides.

What you have is A. geniculata so you did indeed get what you originally wanted.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. aarachnid

I am happy and sort of perplexed! Thank you. :)

6. The Grym Reaper

No worries. It's one of the weird/annoying thing that happens in the hobby, collectors/exporters misidentifying species and then the names just stick.

Another example would be that the species sold in the hobby as Holothele sericea isn't the real Holothele sericea (which is now Scopelobates sericeus).

7. aarachnid

Okay, so I did a bit more lurking on the forum. I want to make a label for her enclosure. Would it be best to label her Acanthoscurria Geniculata “Brocklehursti” Form?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Asgiliath

Asgiliath Arachnoknight Active Member

Huh! I also got an a. genic labeled this way at an expo.

9. aarachnid

Did you go to Oaks this weekend?

10. Asgiliath

Nope! It was at a south Florida Repticon.

It was odd because usually nhando coloratovillosus are the ones labeled as “Brazilian black and white” (I have one of those too). Ahh...common names.

11. aarachnid

I hate common names so badly. The expo had lots of “curly hair tarantulas” and they didn’t all look the same species!! To my untrained eye, at least. I would be upset if I ended up with a Nhandu, they’re on my “researched but not ready for yet” list! Lol.

12. volcanopele

volcanopele Arachnosquire

Piggybacking off this question: I have an geniculata juvenile male and a brocklehursti morph female (mature/almost full size). My plan was to not breed them so as to not create any potential cross-breeds. Still the right idea or is there literally no difference between hobby brocklehursti and regular genics?

13. Asgiliath

The curly hairs could have all been b. albo’s just Honduran as well as Nicaraguan forms. Their hairs tend to me slightly different colors. I have both but the Nicaraguan is still a sling so I can’t tell how different they look yet. Damn, I have three albo’s...why even??

14. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

The species name "brocklehursti" should disappear from the hobby. However, it doesn't matter what you put on the label so call it whatever you want.

Yes, that is the right idea. The only real difference between the two is that males of what is being sold as Acanthoscurria brocklehursti should not have vertical lines on the legs. I say "should" because who knows if all hobby "A. brocklehursti" are actually the same.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

I hope you didn't pay more for that name than what they were selling spiders labeled as A. genic o_O

16. aarachnid

Not gonna lie, I paid more than I normally would have. Not by a bunch, but yeah... I’m still confused, she had A Genics earlier in the day she had sold out of and showed me a pic of what the one I got would look like compared to an A Genic (more brown than black, still has white bands). I’m gonna just call her an A Genic and see what happens as she grows and molts. Guessing she isn’t a candidate for breeding! Lol

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  17. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoangel Active Member

Last year I got a "brocklehursti" as a freebie. I still list it as such because A; the slight difference, or B; I keep forgetting to change it - take your pick :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Grym Reaper

The different forms are labelled "wide band" and "narrow band (ex brocklehursti)" here IIRC

19. aarachnid

Thank you for that!! That also explains why the adult picture of the “Brocklehursti” she showed me looked different from the adult A Genic pic she showed me.

20. LV-426

LV-426 Arachnobaron

I went there Saturday, was it the Fairytale Dragons table? I got a C. marshalli sling from them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.