Idolomantis diabolica heating

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it true that these need to be kept above 90 degrees F in order to raise them? I’ve been looking for this species for a while but now I’m kind of nervous to spend a lot of money on some nymphs if the survival rate is iffy. If you keep this species, advice on how to heat the nymphs would be greatly appreciated.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Is it true that these need to be kept above 90 degrees F in order to raise them? I’ve been looking for this species for a while but now I’m kind of nervous to spend a lot of money on some nymphs if the survival rate is iffy. If you keep this species, advice on how to heat the nymphs would be greatly appreciated.
No it’s not. Just mimic their natural habitat. Around 80° is fine, they don’t ONLY need flies just to add on, mine gladly take mealworms and roaches. I wouldn’t recommend trying them unless you have a good amount of experience with mantids they are very delicate.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No it’s not. Just mimic their natural habitat. Around 80° is fine, they don’t ONLY need flies just to add on, mine gladly take mealworms and roaches. I wouldn’t recommend trying them unless you have a good amount of experience with mantids they are very delicate.
Thanks! I used to not really care for mantids, but lately I’ve been getting really into them. I have kept Phyllocrania paradoxa and Deroplatys lobata but I believe those are on the easier end of the care spectrum.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Thanks! I used to not really care for mantids, but lately I’ve been getting really into them. I have kept Phyllocrania paradoxa and Deroplatys lobata but I believe those are on the easier end of the care spectrum.
Yeah, those are much easier. I would wait until you have tried out 10-15 species.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, those are much easier. I would wait until you have tried out 10-15 species.
Just curious, what humidity did you keep yours at? I've seen lots of conflicting info online. Some say keep them bone dry until 8i, while others say they do best with high humidity.