Is it dying or molting?

• dying

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • molting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iluvicecream

Arachnopeon
I asked my cousin, who's had Tarantulas before, to take a look at it, and he says it's probably just trying to molt. He told me to wait two days before doing anything, and if it doesn't move then it's dead. I dont want to sit and watch knowing that it might be dying. I cant tell, and I'm not sure if my cousin is rly much of a reliable source at this point. Pls lmk which it is.
20200217_223254.jpg 20200217_223301.jpg

Attachments

JohnGwapo

Arachnopeon
I asked my cousin, who's had Tarantulas before, to take a look at it, and he says it's probably just trying to molt. He told me to wait two days before doing anything, and if it doesn't move then it's dead. I dont want to sit and watch knowing that it might be dying. I cant tell, and I'm not sure if my cousin is rly much of a reliable source at this point. Pls lmk which it is.
View attachment 334329 View attachment 334332
Maybe its molting maybe its not...imean your obsetvation is as good as our opinion but for me it might be dying its posture is slighly resembleng a deathcurl

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That is a death curl and you need to act fast, because they are dying. Please take that tarantula out and try to give it water. If it is not struggling, then flip them on their back and apply water directly to their mouth. If they are still moving, then place their mouth parts over a dish of water that contains fresh water only.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
No, that is not normally how an Avic (or really any tarantula) would molt. As others said, try giving it some water.

Is that bright overhead light used in the pictures always on, or was it just on for the sake of taking the pictures?

Swagg

Arachnoknight
I’m leaning towards dying. The abdomen is pretty small, especially for a T that is molt eminent. And I don’t like all the dirt that is stuck in its hair, avics are pretty good about keeping themselves cleaned. Mine grooms constantly. It is just a guess though. They will molt like that but the totality from my experience (which is limited) has mean leaning otherwise.
Like @cold blood said, pics of the whole situation would help greatly.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Looks dying to me, could be be dehydrated?

Mist the enclosure a bit, and give her some water droplets

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That is a death curl and you need to act fast, because they are dying. Please take that tarantula out and try to give it water. If it is not struggling, then flip them on their back and apply water directly to their mouth. If they are still moving, then place their mouth parts over a dish of water that contains fresh water only.
Did you do what @Vanessa suggested? Any updates? And please, post pictures of the whole enclosure.

Do you know the sex of your T? Could it be an old MM nearing his end? I really don't like how that abdomen looks and just trying to find answers. :(

cold blood

Staff member
Mist the enclosure a bit, and give her some water droplets
Without seeing the enclosure, advice like this shouldnt be given...most of the time an Avic is on the ground its due to too much moisture and/or not enough ventilation...if its this typical scenario, misting not only wont help, but it could be extremely detrimental.

We have to see the set up and current husbandry before jumping to how to help.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Without seeing the enclosure, advice like this shouldnt be given...most of the time an Avic is on the ground its due to too much moisture and/or not enough ventilation...if its this typical scenario, misting not only wont help, but it could be extremely detrimental.

We have to see the set up and current husbandry before jumping to how to help.
True!

But the top layer looks too dry to me, hence the misting advice.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The poster hasn't been on since making this post. Unless they are seeing emails, they aren't getting any of these responses. I'm guessing that another Avicularia has bitten the dust.
:mad:

Swagg

Arachnoknight
The poster hasn't been on since making this post. Unless they are seeing emails, they aren't getting any of these responses. I'm guessing that another Avicularia has bitten the dust.
:mad:
Sounds about right.