Idiothele Sp Blue Foot - Sling

Dexter

Arachnopeon
Does anyone actually own one of these? I have 2 around .75 inch. Care sheets are very scarce. Got the from Ken he said ask around here. So I will give it a whirl. I need a good idea of what to expect from an owner of one.

For now I just tossed them in sling vials half filled with substrate. There is no hide or anything since its a small vial. It's slightly moist substrate not soaked. I would say 60-70% humidity in there. Kept in my sling case at 85 degrees. Unless some reason not to keep like this for now.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like you are keeping them just fine..

BTW.. Its Idiothele mira now..

Dexter

Arachnopeon
Yea I mean I just tossed them in like any other tiny sling. Just hoping to do something more exotic with them once they molt.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is this just an assumption or you know of care sheets or documentation for this species?
I love to see those, I really have no idea
Being that they are slings.. That is how I would keep them myself...

As for proof.. Cant show it.. I cant seem to fid anything on this sp. myself...

Im guessing being a baboon from Africa.. They like it dry.. But.. No proof or care sheets to back up my statments..

Dexter

Arachnopeon
The issue I am finding is alot of guessing on how to keep them. I mean I was hoping to find some people who raised them from slings. But I am guessing there aren't many of them.

Tie Black

Arachnopeon
If you keep them in moist substrate, and at that humidity for long, they will die.
If you're going to keep the substrate moist, with warm temperatures, then give them more ventilation, and allow space to burrow.
Good luck, you should have a nice vial with substrate soon.

Dexter

Arachnopeon
To humid? I don't really want to keep those tiny slings super dry and have a molt problem. How dry do they like it? And they can dig if they choose to the vial is small but they are probably 1/5th the size of the vial.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you keep them Dry as slings.....

.....They'll DIE :(

Red will be getting one from me when next Import arrives.....and I am Confident that he'll raise it well, that is why he get's one specimen for FREE ;);)

Info on "Blue-Foots" can be found with intensive researching of Internet - Google is a beautiful thing - Mating Pix can be found :cool: And they have been bred Twice in Private Collections already, around Globe.....They will be the next "P. Metallica" type Fad, IMO.

GL to ALL Hobbyists who own them ;) - Jason

P.S. High Ana~Banana :p Have anymore P. Mets Die :rolleyes:

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ts are not scorps! You can keep a desert scorp bone dry with absolutely no water for a month(s) just fine, but even the "driest" T requires a water dish or regular misting. Ventilation is the most important thing here.

Dexter

Arachnopeon
I didn't say I was keeping them dry. I don't keep any sling dry. Some dude posted and said don't keep them humid. And sharpfang I have googled the cray out of them. Let me know if you see someone who actually owns one who posted, because I can't seem to find any sling owners.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I didn't say I was keeping them dry. I don't keep any sling dry. Some dude posted and said don't keep them humid. And sharpfang I have googled the cray out of them. Let me know if you see someone who actually owns one who posted, because I can't seem to find any sling owners.
LOL! If by some dude, you mean "Tie Black"... he knows African spiders better than most people here.

Dexter

Arachnopeon
Ok so tie black is saying don't keep it moist or humid, and sharpfang is saying if it's dry the die. And I just tried google again. I still can't find any significant information.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Sub adult....

I have a few sub adults that I have raised since slings and can't wait to get the chance to breed this specie. I have raised all of mine with no fatalities as slings in a damp, not wet substrate with a small water dish. I have let the substrate dry out several times and now as semi-adults they have a larger water dish with dry substrate wich I will moisten occasionally. They are very interesting in that they act much like a trapdoor mygalomorph , stay burrowed, and pop out of their webbing to grab prey. However, I have noticed they prefer the drier substrate to web their burrows.

I hope this helps and feel free to contact me via PM with any other questions.

Thanks,
Joe

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok so tie black is saying don't keep it moist or humid, and sharpfang is saying if it's dry the die. And I just tried google again. I still can't find any significant information.
You can keep a sling in a moist-ish enclosure without it being overly humid..

Its obvious that this is a new species.. Its obvious not many people know much about them..

Right now.. You are going to have to experiment with it..

If you dont want to experiment with a new sp... Dont get one you cant find information on.. ;)

Dexter

Arachnopeon
picture

here is a picture of 1 of them. The other one looks just the same. I can use bigger containers like form container store or whatever. I have a ton of containers floating around. I just can't decide.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think i asked this a while back in another thread on these but never found out, how big do these get? I imagine about 3 or 4" but could be wrong....

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I next go on a Search for them, I'll LINK the spots I find to ya ;)

And as AB members & Private Collectors acquire those available, more Pix and Info will Surface of their cute Metallic Feet :p - J