Idiothele mira feeding. With a difference.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I usually just post my videos on my own thread (I will be double posting this there too) but this one's a little different.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
That has got to be one of best built trapdoors I've seen. I couldn't find the door before she did even after replaying the vid 3 times.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I usually just post my videos on my own thread (I will be double posting this there too) but this one's a little different.

I love watching mine try to find the trap door, that's one of the best parts of owning this species.

ryan w

Arachnopeon
Great video, can't believe you get to see yours, I've only ever seen a brief flash of legs in the whole time I've owned it!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Great video, can't believe you get to see yours, I've only ever seen a brief flash of legs in the whole time I've owned it!
Yep. Every single night she's out. Well practically.

She usually starts with just her little blue tootsies out. Then later she'll be out and about.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now where did I park my car?
Pretty much, esp if they get into feeding frenzy of sorts. I saw a video of such an event and the mira totally blew here the door was. I was sold when I watched it. They are a great species, fascinating to watch due to trapdoor and hunting/detecting prey via vibrations through the sub along silk inside burrow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep. Every single night she's out. Well practically.

She usually starts with just her little blue tootsies out. Then later she'll be out and about.
Mine not so much, but I see her far more above ground than most, so no complaints here. However she did come out for over 2 weeks straight, never went back into the burrow. Then one day decided to go back in.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
I love this, especially your chuckles at the end. :happy: She is the master of those trap doors!

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Beautiful T! I think I. mira's are one of the most interesting tarantulas on the world. That trapdoor technique is so cool. :cool: But your mira is unique. ;)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I saw a video of such an event and the mira totally blew here the door was. I was sold when I watched it. They are a great species, fascinating to watch due to trapdoor and hunting/detecting prey via vibrations through the sub along silk inside burrow.
Would you recommend Idiothele mira as a first OW, or is it better to cut your teeth on another OW species?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Would you recommend Idiothele mira as a first OW, or is it better to cut your teeth on another OW species?
I'd say definitely. Whether it's your first or 35th. But then I don't really know how "lucky" I am with mine seeing that she's out almost every night.

An absolutely phenomenonal little T with a tremendous hunting technique.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Aye. That's why I'm picky. I'd love loads of T's but don't have the space.
Same here. That's partly why I go for a variety of different types. It would be interesting to have a trapdoor species, even if it was a pet hole 95% of the time.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Same here. That's partly why I go for a variety of different types. It would be interesting to have a trapdoor species, even if it was a pet hole 95% of the time.
They're definitely worth owning even if you had a 100% pet hole just to watch them hunt. Whether it's a quick grab of a single cricket or multiple grabs of flies. It's absolutely phenomenonal to witness.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
They're definitely worth owning even if you had a 100% pet hole just to watch them hunt. Whether it's a quick grab of a single cricket or multiple grabs of flies. It's absolutely phenomenonal to witness.
The video where she is frantically pawing at her trapdoor sold me on it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't think that they are more or less difficult to keep than any other OW. They are pretty cool but I'd pick something your likely to see out more often for your first OW. I saw mine out pretty regularly when I got them. But once they had established their burrows and I plumped them up pretty heavy they don't come out very often. (They also haven't eaten in 3 months and are still pretty fat)

They are very cool with the trap doors and I would recommend them as a great addition to anyone collection. Depending on how you feed your might not see them as often. Which is true of most baboons and burrowers.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes/No- Depends on your perspective. They do make a great first OW. But I could see some saying they are not that good because they are a pethole, thus husbandry interaction is almost zero. I'd go with Ceratogyrus. That's what I did many years ago. They are out more and give you the chance of interacting with an OW more so than mira will.