Identifying Spider

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My webcam is on the fritz now so i cant take a photo but I just wanted to describe a new spider I just got and see if anybody can give me a clue as to waht it is. That store owner had no clue. I traded my adult GOliath bird eater for this spider and a couple more. THis new one might be a baby bird eater but I am unsure. It has made itself a silk nest in one corner of the aquarium he is housed in. He rarely leaves it except at night to hunt crickets and it has a large appatite. It is very orange and doesnt have very many markings. On the top of the cephalothorax the dimple is black and the lines merging into it are also quite dark. So far I am thinking it may be some species of Baboon tarantula or a baby bird eater. THoughts?

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey JB,

From your description I think it is probably the Usumbara baboon, Pterinochilus sp. "Usumbara". Take a look at the caresheet on this site. In the gallery there are also several pictures of this T. Let me know if it is this one!
greetz,
Joost

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fancy that. I was just looking through the gallery and that is exactly what i was thinking this is. Except this one rarely touches the ground and the caresheet states that these are burrowing spiders. This one shows no desire to burrow only to climb and build webs high in the corner.

earthVSspider

Arachnopeon
re

hey I'm sorry to say I think you got ripped off real bad, sorry to hear that, what else did you trade besides an adult goliath birdeater, thats just wrong...:mad:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got a pretty good deal. I hadnt had the Bird Eater for long and i didnt like him very much anyways. I was given that spider and so i trades it for this mysterious orange beauty and an aquarium to house it, a Skelton tarantula and Costa Rican Zebra.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Usumbaras are burrowing spiders in a much looser sense than most "burrowing spiders." They tend to lead a much more surface-oriented existance and build lots of really thick webbing. While mine will retreat to their peat cups when disturbed, they have never built burrows and spend much of their time on top of their burrow in a cradle of webbing they have created.

That being said, if it won't touch the ground, there is probably something wrong with your substrate. These guys like it DRY. I use pure peat moss with no water added. They have water dishes which I keep full, but they are never misted.

Cheers,
Dave

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow thanks of this I was not aware. I have been keepin g the ground misted quite thoroughly as I do with my other spiders. I guess that ends today.