Identifying new scorpion

What scorpion should I get next?

• Hottentotta Hottentotta

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stugy

Arachnolord
Just a month ago I got my very first pet scorpion at PetSmart. It was labeled as an Asian Forest Scorpion but the scientific name messed me up (Heterometrus sp.) I wanna know (if possible) exactly the species my scorpion is. I had some size comparisons to my Gameboy Advance :D and one pic of it's underbelly since I have no idea how to sex it. It's name is Veni from Julius Caesar's quote "Veni, vidi, vici." :p 013.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg 012.jpg 011.jpg

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Heterometrus spinifer is my vote.

What game was in your Game Boy when this pic was taken?

Rise of Arachnids

Arachnopeon
I think you should get an Emperor Scorpion (P. Imperator) as they are very easy to care for and their stings share the same venom as bees, so if you're allergic to bees try not to get stung, but that's really it. Also, try not to get pinched.

Angron

Arachnopeon
Pandinus imperator and the various Heterometrus species have basically the same care requirements, Heterometrus are just generally more belligerent. I have what I believe to be an H. spinifer and it's an awesome scorpion.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
:)
I think you should get an Emperor Scorpion (P. Imperator) as they are very easy to care for and their stings share the same venom as bees, so if you're allergic to bees try not to get stung, but that's really it. Also, try not to get pinched.
That is not a P. imperator. P. imperator telsons are a dark reddish brown, not black. P. imperator pedipalps are more bulbous and have more granules or bumps on the pedipalps. The pedipalps on his specimen are slightly elongated and have minimal to no bumps.

Stugy

Arachnolord
:)

That is not a P. imperator. P. imperator telsons are a dark reddish brown, not black. P. imperator pedipalps are more bulbous and have more granules or bumps on the pedipalps. The pedipalps on his specimen are slightly elongated and have minimal to no bumps.
He was implying that I SHOULD get a P. imperator not that he's trying to identify it.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Emperors are very expensive nowadays and that money is not the money I have. That is why I purchased the Heterometrus. I did my homework ;)

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
He was implying that I SHOULD get a P. imperator not that he's trying to identify it.
Ohhh, he did say that. My apologies. I agree with him, except don't get one, get many.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
God, I just re read your title and what the purpose of this thread was. Suggestions, not i.d. My brain is wreaked from insomnia..ughhhhhhhh.....

I would suggest as your next scorpion a H. arizonensis or a communal P. imperator viv.

Stugy

Arachnolord
God, I just re read your title and what the purpose of this thread was. Suggestions, not i.d. My brain is wreaked from insomnia..ughhhhhhhh.....

I would suggest as your next scorpion a H. arizonensis or a communal P. imperator viv.
Ok I'll keep the H.arizonensis in mind as I do not have the money for a P.imperator. :p

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok I'll keep the H.arizonensis in mind as I do not have the money for a P.imperator. :p
Yeah, emps are really expensive now adays.

Also, I believe your scorp is a lady. I would be able to tell for sure with a few more pics of it's pectines and operculum.

What specifically are you looking for in your next scorpion and do you have any experience with anything mildly more venomous than that Heterometrus? Those two things could help in determining where to point you.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
I think that could be H. spinifer or longminus.

For your next scorpions, maybe try getting more of these guys and set up a communal. They are less expensive then P. imperator, as you said above, but you will be able to breed them and see all sorts of behavior from them as they interact with one another.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Yeah, emps are really expensive now adays.

Also, I believe your scorp is a lady. I would be able to tell for sure with a few more pics of it's pectines and operculum.

What specifically are you looking for in your next scorpion and do you have any experience with anything mildly more venomous than that Heterometrus? Those two things could help in determining where to point you.
Well I want a nice looking scorpion for display purposes. I don't really care if it's a desert species or a species that require humidity though a desert species would be nicer because I'm in California and about the drought (blah blah). And about the venom. My Heterometrus is my first ever scorpion and I own a few true spiders but their venom is very mild.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Well I found a picture comparing the underside of a male and female heterometrus and I found that my scorpion is in fact a girl! :rolleyes: So now that I know that, I really wanna see what species she is so I can get here a mate once she is full-grown. :D

Stugy

Arachnolord

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Post some pictures of the enclosure if you can. Just want to ensure it is set up properly.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Post some pictures of the enclosure if you can. Just want to ensure it is set up properly.
Well I bought it out of the blue so i'm still working on how I want it's permanent set-up will be. I keep it humid all the time because I did my homework :p. I will put up some pictures shortly (in about an hour to a day)

Last edited:

Stugy

Arachnolord
Sorry for the bad quality. I've been taking pictures using my phone :artist:. The substrate is really old Eco-Earth and the wood is just drift wood that I found during my time in Japan. I recently bought 2 new bricks of Eco-Earth so I will be adding one of the bricks to the enclosure so the scorpion may burrow. -Edit: Omg the pics are worse than I thought. It seems the forums messed with the quality of these pics or I just didn't check them. I will add some better pics if needed.

Attachments