Identify this ugly bug please!!

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
Found this grub and some of his mates in my pack of crickets!

Any idea what it is?
What should I do with it? Can I feed it to my T's?

Thanks!

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Found this grub and some of his mates in my pack of crickets!

Any idea what it is?
I would guess some kind of beetle larvae in the family Dermestidae; they are used as cleaner crews in insect colonies, as they feed on dead insects and other decaying matter.

For that reason, they sometimes show up in cricket shipments.

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
That's really helpful mate, thank you!

I posted a few months ago about Identifying another bug, that turned out to be a 'varied carpet beetle'.
Now it makes sense why they appear, as these larvae must have escaped out of my cricket keeper and into my house... I just hope they don't infest or do much damage to my home.

Also, I'm guessing its worth keeping these larvae in with my feeders and even my T's as they can be a helpful addition to my springtails.

Thanks

DreadMan

Arachnosquire
those things are really helpful in cricket colonies. you should most definitely keep them. I once actually bred a whole tub filled with them just to put them with my crickets. I wouldn´t call it ugly tho, you can find beauty in all things.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Also, I'm guessing its worth keeping these larvae in with my feeders and even my T's as they can be a helpful addition to my springtails.
I don't keep crickets, so I'll defer to cricket keepers on that.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
No insect or invertebrate is ugly, don’t forget who you all are taking to :troll:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
There are no ugly insects, only ugly attitudes.

However, as a person who owns mounted insect specimens, wool fabrics, and handmade cotton quilts, I must warn you that a dermestid infestation in your home can in fact do a great deal of damage to natural fibres and taxidermied insects and animals. Cultivate at your own risk.

Oswoc

Arachnosquire

However, as a person who owns mounted insect specimens, wool fabrics, and handmade cotton quilts, I must warn you that a dermestid infestation in your home can in fact do a great deal of damage to natural fibres and taxidermied insects and animals. Cultivate at your own risk.
Thanks for the heads up. I always get rid of them whenever I see them, hopefully that's enough and they won't lay eggs in my house. I have synthetic carpets, very little wool anywhere... let's see what happens! Lol

schmiggle

Arachnoking

The cricket industry is in bed with Big Dermestid to put beetles in every home in America! They must be stopped!