Identify this species?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bill,

*DROOLS*
Definitely not H. trilineatus. Well, it might be. Appearances can be decieving, but it looks like a male H. emini. Or at least, closer than any other images of Hottentota species I have been able to aquire. All the other black topped Hottentotas in my pic list have the black tipped cauda as well, or do not have the degree of edging and coloration on the pedipalps, automatically ruling them out on appearance alone. I want a few. Then again, I want a lot of things! heheh... Great pic, Bill! So much detail, considering the small size of this scorpion. So they came in as yellow rock scorps, you said?

adios,
edw. :D

Last edited:

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hmm -- Let's figure this guy out! Some of the others aren't quite so black-topped. I will take more pics soon.

bill

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Excellent. Do attempt to get a good overhead pic of the scorp. This will reveal any markings on the tergite and prosoma we cannot see due to the angle. That may be, and probably is the reason the scorp's prosoma appears to be completly blackened.

adios,
edw. =D but, it looks like a really nice scorpion :D

Last edited:

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually, I don't have any of them online. I just keep them all on the computer for faster access. With the up-close dorsal view, the spotting appears closer to that of the H. trilineatus or polystictus, indeed. I need to find some descriptive info on them to find which species has the spots and which one is closer to reflecting stripes instead.

EDIT: Actually, after closer observation and a lot of zooming in, it appears closest to polystictus. Unless the two names (polystictus and trilineatus) are reversed as to their meanings, which I believe something of the sort was mentioned by Dave Gaban a short while ago on the Yahoo groups. I thing I'm going to find out more on what all that was about before I make any definite answers. It is definitely a different color morph from those of which I have seen or have photos of. I have never seen the femur coloration in combination with pedipalp coloration anywhere close to that on any Hottentota. Wait, I found a pic of an H.polystictus and emini that have it on the femurs. I can't really tell whether they do on the peds as well. Very attractive.

adios,
edw.

Last edited: