identify this monster spider in my backyard...eek!

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
okay, this HUGE!!! thing (at least to me) was in my backyard very complacently underneath a car. i didn't do anything to make it move and like hell was i going to try to catch it. lol.

however, like a true respector of nature, i photographed it. so, can you guys identify this for me?

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
actually...(grin)...is this a Dolomedes tenebrosus, fishing spider? i saw the other 'wolf spider' post and although that's in CT, and i'm in GA, they look AWFULLY similar.

thoughts?

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is it still alive or squished flat? i can't tell hehe

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looks like a wolfie w/babies! Dolomedes seems to have longer and more of a taper to thier legs, among other characteristics. I could be wrong though :)
john

kinetikx

Arachnopeon
My first instinct is a wolf spider. It definitley has babies on its abdomen. But the girth of its legs kind of throws me...

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
definetly a wolf i have all over my back yard i think wolves really are the only spider where u live that carries its young on its back

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh no, very, VERY much alive and huge. :) just sitting there calmly. didn't move at all, but was gone in the morning a few hours later.

i couldn't tell exactly if those were babies and was a BIT intimidated so didn't get SUPER close. this was very late at night and so it was really, really dark. had to light her with a flashlight and then get as close as i dared with my camera.

thanks guys! :)

my first impression was a wolf but the leg markings looked SO much like that other pic on here that ended up being a fishing spider. plus, they'd said that it was one of the largest spiders in the US behind Ts.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Definately a wolf, genus probably Hogna (formally Lycosa), and they're definately babies. Dolomedes don't carry babies on the back the way wolfs do.

Wade

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh hahahhaha...i didn't notice the little babies, now that i look closer I see them :D

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
definitly a wolf! these giant monsters used to run around the sidewalk at my old job. do you live near a field? i am always amazed how true spiders make me so nervous, but my house holds 11 t's, 1 trapdoor, and a freshly wc brown widow.

Kristin=D