Identification: What kind of spider do I have here?

yachtmaster

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I recently acquired this spider and would like to know what it really is. The enclosure is marked as "Red Devil" yet most of the information I can find pertaining to the "Red Devil" spider alludes to the woodlouse spider. A few forum posts here identify it as a trapdoor spider Ummidia sp. and as such would like to get a solid answer as to what I actually have.

The spider was nice enough to come out of it's burrow this morning so I snapped a couple of pictures.

Totally unrelated to this posting, it's been 21 days since my Pterinochilus murinus got out and has been missing. Anyone have any tips for finding one of these?

Thanks.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's a trap door spider, looks like Gorgyrella sp to me? I have no clue how to care for them, but feel free to search the boards on here.

yachtmaster

Arachnopeon
A couple of searches later and I found this:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/197690/bgimage

Looks very similar to the specimen I have as well I happen to be about 4 hours from the Pacific Coast of Canada, though not wild caught I do believe this specimen to be native to my region.

Not sure how trapdoor like these spiders may be as the specimen I have burrows extensively and rarely comes out.

Thank you all for the links and insight.

-Edit-

Found this document too which has a bit of additional information on this species:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/plantclinic/resources/pdf/pls108tarantulasinthepnw.pdf

Last edited:

ZillaPL

Arachnopeon
It's Ancylotrypa spp. orange legs I persume...

Have the same one. This Trapdoor as I've seen and heard dosen't make an trapdoor, but just an hole. Other than that highly aggresive, with probablly potent venom and not recommended for begginers. I've seen mine twice, once when I've bought it and yesterday when I've dug it up to see is he fine. Cheers