Identification please

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These two were sold to me as Emperor scorpions. I believe they are Heterometrus spinifer, but I want a second opinion.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Tim,

These are indeed a Heterometrus sp. but for an ID we'll need clearer pictures of the carapace.

Cheers,
Ryan

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The pedipalps have a different shape than my H. spinifer . . . I'd tenatively say . . .H. laoticus? I had one last fall for a while.

Here's my laoticus for a comparison shot.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That'd be my guess too, laoticus. I've got few right now, ...smooth carapace, kind of small compared to an Emperor with oversized looking chela? Don't know for sure of course without a better pic. I've had these a while. They don't seem to dig much but love to get under things.

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another vote for H. laoticus here, defining characteristics, extremley smooth carapace, very dark telson etc....a good looking one at that, very chunky.

Damo

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not Laoticus... not matt in color :)

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You sure? My laoticus looked pretty glossy.
Then it's not a laoticus? :)

I have over 15, all look very dull in color..not glossy at all... would help to get better pictures though.

Edit: I got them from someone who has owned laoticus for over 9 years so I know the ID is correct

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello Iheart. The carapace still reflects light pretty well so it might be hard to notice if it wasn't pointed out to somebody. I thought they were shiney when I first saw mine and only just a little dirty. They just wouldn't clean up:?! Turned out to be matte, like a real light powder coating, and lacking granulation which would also allow more light reflection off the slight matte finish, and so might cause someone to over-look the matte carapace. I don't think I would've noticed it if I didn't read it somewhere.

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going with H.petersii on this..But thats what I think by looking at the chela!! Get a clear close pic of the carapace and I can ID it for you..