Identification of Dwarf species.

Kat Maehl

Arachnopeon
Okay, so first off. I realize this isn't as cut and dry as I wish. I like knowing what my spiders are, just so I can explain to people why they shouldn't be afraid. That being said, at the end of the day I don't give a damn what they're called, all I care about is watching them, feeding them, or in the case of this little one, holding her occasionally to over come my fear of them touching me.

She is in the Dwarf Beauty species, I think we can all agree on that, however they are a species exclusively to South America. I am not in South America. I am directly between north and South America. Some consider Costa Rica to be the last country of Central America.

Now, on to IDing this little bugger.

While she has all the signs of being a C. perezmilesi.

The heart shapes marking on her abdomen, the lines encasing her heart, the difference is she has two extra sets of lines. One nearing her cethalothorax is almost too faint to see, but she does have 6 total markings.
Her legs where they meet her cethalothorax are red like most dwarfs, so that's another part playing well to the Id. However. There is NO species that looks just like her, or rather, there aren't any photos, there aren't any records of this species being up here in Costa Rica.

My buddy has gotten in touch with the university of Arizona to find out more. Assuming he hears back, I'll head to my university here too.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

Jason B

Arachnosquire
This looks like a Cyclosternum fasciatum aka costa rican tiger rump. I'm not expert by any means but I've had them before and that was the first spider the popped in my head when I saw your pic. There actually one of my favorite species and I'm a bit envious you can just go out and cetch them

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Davus ruficeps formerly Metriopelma zebratum imo, but see what your local experts say. The location is right, anyway. The heart shape makes me lean to ruficeps.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
If I was to gamble, Cyriocosmus perezmilesi. But then again it looks a bit like a D pentaloris. However I don't remember mine having colors that defined at that size.

Remember though, purely visual identification is often wrong.

Last edited: