Identification needed

Deinopidae

Arachnopeon
Hello!

I need your help here. I went to Togo, West Africa, and I found a spider, a pretty big one (around 10 centimeters with its huge legs). P1050399.JPG I assume it is a pretty common one.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Edit : it really seems like a Dolomedes, but I think it's just a misleading info because this one was not close to any water area

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Looks like Dolomedes fimbriatus to me too. I'm pretty sure they can be found in places far from sea or lakes.

Can be found in places that have heavy rainfall. I don't know about Togo though.

Deinopidae

Arachnopeon
The fimbriatus cannot be found in Africa (could someone gainsay that?), but could be another Dolomedes.
I took this photo at the end of the rainy season and I've seen some heavy rainfalls, so it could really be a Dolomedes after all.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The fimbriatus cannot be found in Africa (could someone gainsay that?), but could be another Dolomedes.
I took this photo at the end of the rainy season and I've seen some heavy rainfalls, so it could really be a Dolomedes after all.
Yeah I didnt think it could have been fimbriatus as we get them here in UK and our climates are not nearly the same heheh. I am unsure what species of Dolomedes can be found in west Africa.

That is a good sizes spider too.

Deinopidae

Arachnopeon
So now I'm sure this is a Dolomedes but there are 100 different species, some are endemic species of west Africa but I can't find pictures of those spiders.
Could be Dolomedes lomensis, Dolomedes machadoi for instance but who knows, there isn't any medium to find it out ...

Deinopidae

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot we're getting close. I don't know why the hell it was so far from the pond ...

Edit : could be a Lycosidae as well, greater than a Pisauridae

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
Definitely not lycosidae... I'm thinking pisauridae although I'm not sure it's a Dolomedes.

I suppose it could also be a ctenid, or some other type of similar spider bearing the name "fishing spider"

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Looks closer to Pisaurina brevipes.
Need a good shot of the eyes to verify genus.

Majo

Arachnopeon
Sometimes spiders can have many scientific names or even synonymes,(especially with the binary nomenclature)

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a specimen from Western Africa. Pisaurina is Nearctic genus.

As stated previously, it is definitely a Pisauridae but not a Pisaurinae. It is a Thalassiinae, genus either Nilus or Dolomedes which are extremely similar and their taxonomic status in that area of the world is still largely unexplored. That's as far as it can go. :)