Ideas?

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
Hey y'all. I'm fairly new to the hobby with just four tarantulas I've acquired all in the last ten months. I keep all four spiders in my room along with the crickets and roaches we have to feed them, but I've started to feel a bit nervous. Some of these are rather dangerous species; I've got a Poec. sling and a full-grown Singapore Blue. I was wondering if it's common for a tarantula to get out of its cage? I know it's somewhat dependant on what kind of cage you have and how careful you are about opening it and keeping it closed. But have there been cases of lost tarantulas? Is it unwise to be sleeping across the room from these beauties? :confused: Ideas and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
Most if not all escapes are when opening or closing their enclosures or handling. I wouldn't be worried while sleeping since tarantulas aren't vicious creatures just defensive. As ling as your enclosures are secure and you respect the speed of your T's you should be just fine. Plenty of people keep T's in their bedroom including myself , my T's include pokies and a Singapore blue also

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One idea for you, I bought a bookcase and built two doors with screen stapled to them, and that's where I keep my Ts' containers.
I live with cats and if my babies get out the cats will get them, so that's an extra precaution :D

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
Alright, thanks. :) That makes me feel better. As much as I love tarantulas, I can't ignore how potentially dangerous some are! Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Ooh, that's pretty smart. I'll have to look into doing something of the sort!