Ideas on keeping my T's warm without power

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
We are getting a lot of ice right now and our state is in a state of emergency. I'm worried about losing power and keeping my collection warm and safe. What do you guys do? I just found out we are out of all firewood.:wall:

I'm thinking of using blankets, but I don't want to suffocate any t's. Let me know what you guys think.;)

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How large is your collection? We get constant ice storms here and the power goes out probably 2 to 3 times a winter, so I borrowed a method a friend does for his Pythons.

I purchased large styrofoam containers (which can fit several medium sized enclosures in), and stocked up on large 72hour heat packs and place them in like you would for a large shipment. Of course I dont have a super large collection (around 30 T's largest being my Lasiodoras), but in an power outage it works well until power is restored, which is within 12 to 36 hours depending of severity of the storm.

If my collection keeps growing, I am seriously thinking about having a generator installed for emergency back up.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't have any and the roads are getting iced over right now. I probably won't be able to go anywhere for a day or two.

Hopefully, the power will stay on and there won't be anything to worry about. It usually goes out though around here with any ice storm.:mad:

tass

Arachnopeon
do you have any kind of cooler or anything that holds heat really good?

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How large is your collection? We get constant ice storms here and the power goes out probably 2 to 3 times a winter, so I borrowed a method a friend does for his Pythons.

I purchased large styrofoam containers (which can fit several medium sized enclosures in), and stocked up on large 72hour heat packs and place them in like you would for a large shipment. Of course I dont have a super large collection, but in an power outage it works well until power is restored, which is within 12 to 36 hours depending of severity of the storm.
My collection is in the upper 60's along with scorpions, ball python and bearded dragon.

That sounds like a great idea. After this passes I'll have to stock up on some styrofoam coolers and heat packs. I might have one or two styrofoam containers I was going to use for shipping that I can use. It will at least help a little bit.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
A local poison dart frogger had a whole-house generator installed. I think it runs off propane, and auto starts in case of a power outage. That would be the ultimate solution, but pricey.

Tom

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A local poison dart frogger had a whole-house generator installed. I think it runs off propane, and auto starts in case of a power outage. That would be the ultimate solution, but pricey.

Tom
Yeah, they are pricey but in the long run it pays off if you live in an area that constantly gets power outages, especially in winter. I got my T's, snakes,various reptiles and a 150g tank full of Malawi Cichlids, plus two small kids (cant forget them, lol) . So its more or less a good investment for someone like myself.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would boils some water if possible, pour in vase wrap towels around it and place next to the enclosure, if not heat some towels and place over the enclosures.

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
In an absolute emergency situation, two thoughts occur to me:

1. If you have a gas stove, turn on the oven and open the door to let it heat the house. Set the T's near it so they stay warm.

2. Package them up and turn on the car, setting the heater on. Then set them inside the car.

But it's probably smartest to pre-prepare with a bunch of heat packs and styrofoam coolers so you don't have to resort to that.

8by8

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would also suggest along with everything else said would be to take every day energy conservation methods to keep heat from escaping the house. Put weather striping around all the doors and windows. It's not attractive, but I use sheet plastic around my window taped on, along with weather strip. Keep things above 1 foot off the ground.

You would have plenty of time to put everthing in a box before the house cools off to dangerous temps. Were around 45 minutes to the Gulf of Mexico, so we don't really worry about ice storms ( hurricane season is another story), but I wish you good luck if it ever gets bad on your end.

ladizzlee

Arachnopeon
i dont have any heat whatsoever on my t's. my house is kept at 72 degrees 24/7.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if worst comes to worst, you might have to snuggle wit them:D

...but really tho...how cold is it gunna get??....

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hopefully you still have power. When Kentucky got hit by a massive ice storm in 09 I thankfully had access to a kerosene heater. We went a miserable thirteen days without power, with temps sometimes in the teens. I don't know what I would have done without that heater.
I don't have a suggestion, but I feel your pain.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Learn and adapt. Stock up more firewood to keep your woodstove going for next time ;)

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a heater that attaches to a propane grill tank. Warmed up a couple rooms nicely when the power was out.

Now we have a ventless gas fireplace. When the power dies, we are still warm. Unfortunately, the animals are out in a heated shed. The propane tank would still be needed, or I need to haul everything in.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Putting cold blooded animals in insulated containers or under blankets is useless since there is no use to keep heat that is not generated. I have was to deal with a power outage in winter, problem is that I now live alone and I am kind of paranoid when I leave my house for a long time... the only friend I have within 50 km doesn't know what to do even if I leave him the keys. Should do a training!

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Magnifying glass! Kidding!

You know, I guess I never once thought about the "what if" on losing power for an extended period of time. I live in the upper midwest and have always been fortunate to have power outages last a few minutes to maybe an hour or two.

Guess I better get some thoughts in check on the "what if" bc I have well over 100 T's and we have been below zero outside this season already.

Joe

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I've been in Columbus since 87, and the only outage we've ever had that was long enough to present a problem, was when Hurricane Ike rolled through in September of 08. We lost power for almost a week. Even then, the outdoor temperatures were such that heating wasn't necessary.

Tom