Ideal temperature for Asian Forest Scorpion

lanzaey

Arachnopeon
I've read that they should be kept at 75° - 90° F (23°-32°C) but living in a tropical country, room temperature is usually at 90°F (low to mid 30°c) anyway.

I have a heat mat on the side of the enclosure that at max brings the temps to around 95°F (35°C). Temperatures outside are around this range too and with my scorp being wild caught, I want to simulate real world temps as much as possible.

Is it okay to keep her in a bit higher temps?

lanzaey

Arachnopeon
I've read that they should be kept at 75° - 90° F (23°-32°C) but living in a tropical country, room temperature is usually at 90°F (low to mid 30°c) anyway.

I have a heat mat on the side of the enclosure that at max brings the temps to around 95°F (35°C). Temperatures outside are around this range too and with my scorp being wild caught, I want to simulate real world temps as much as possible.

Is it okay to keep her in a bit higher temps?
Forgot to add, my enclosure is big enough (70×30×30cm) that there is a comfortable heat gradient between the two sides. The scorp is not being exposed to a uniform high temperature. However, I've never seen her use the hide on the cooler side but then again, I've only started using the heat mat yesterday

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Forgot to add, my enclosure is big enough (70×30×30cm) that there is a comfortable heat gradient between the two sides. The scorp is not being exposed to a uniform high temperature. However, I've never seen her use the hide on the cooler side but then again, I've only started using the heat mat yesterday
If you purchase a decent thermostat and set temp. around 32-35 C. near the heat mat then that will give a cooler area away from the mat. Best to have 2 hides, one cool area, one near the mat. If you get a decent thermostat you won't have to worry about room or enclosure temps. the stat. will maintain the set temp. regardless of outside temps.

CheckThrust

ArachnoPilot
Old Timer
Quite honestly, I think you're fine without a heat mat. If you do use one, I'd recommend only putting it on the side/back of the enclosure as opposed to the bottom. A lot of scorpions like to burrow and can get too hot if they burrow next to heat mats. Also, as Dry Desert said, use a decent thermostat and you wont have to worry about the temp getting too high.

Sorry to crash this thread,but my enclosure is being set up for either P.viatoris or H.cyaneos or spinifer(not sure which yet,and im struggling to get temps from digital thermometer probe inside 18 litre RUB to anything beyond 23c and himidity reading 76% although the hygrometer stuck to inside of the box is reading about 82%!!! 1/3rd of box is heated with hebistat 12watt 11x11 " hetmat on a tinfoil surface to reflect heat any suggestions ?? I have a on/off thermostat set to about 26 c,and its constantly on.

Scorpfacekillah

Arachnopeon
Sorry to crash this thread,but my enclosure is being set up for either P.viatoris or H.cyaneos or spinifer(not sure which yet,and im struggling to get temps from digital thermometer probe inside 18 litre RUB to anything beyond 23c and himidity reading 76% although the hygrometer stuck to inside of the box is reading about 82%!!! 1/3rd of box is heated with hebistat 12watt 11x11 " hetmat on a tinfoil surface to reflect heat any suggestions ?? I have a on/off thermostat set to about 26 c,and its constantly on.
Without looking at the enclosure, it might be worth checking how much ventilation you have going. I have a vivarium that has a mesh top that lost a lot of heat because of so i had to find a way of covering 3/4 of it (acrylic plastic did the trick) to keep heat in.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We all love a good necro bump sometimes