Idea for new dry cat food.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For cats who are missing teeth or have very few teeth, we worry they might not chew their dry food as well and get stomach upset from this. Sometimes cats will love dry food but hate canned food, so if this happened you might have a problem of your cat not eating. And moistened dry food will quickly spoil.

My idea is that they should make a dry cat food variety that is similar in texture to Whiskas Tempations treats. They are very soft on the outside and flaky inside, you can crush them between your fingers, wheres normal dry cat food you cant. They are easy to chew similar in texture to a puffed cheese doodle, and dissolve quickly when in contact with saliva. Like solid treats for human babies that dissolve quickly but can be chewed by gumming, if we had an easy to chew dry cat food then cats with few or no teeth could safely eat dry cat food with ease.

Is this a good idea you think for the future? It could work for dogs too who are missing teeth.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The thing is, cats are funny creatures. They have peculiar likes and dislikes, while dogs will pretty much eat anything if they are hungry enough. A cat will starve itself to death if it can't get something it likes. Cats are more particular when it comes to textures and shape of their food than dogs. That's why most dry cat foods come in specific shapes, regardless of brands. In studies at companies that sell the foods, they actually research what shapes and textures cats will or won't eat. While a food that dissolves upon contact with saliva sounds good, the question is: with a cat actually eat it? Also, foods like that are mostly air, so the cat would have to eat a tremendous amount of it to get the nutrients they require, either that, or the protein/fat/other nutrient contents would have to be very high to compensate for air taking up most of the volume. Cats also have very specific nutritional requirements that absolutely cannot be "fudged" on, less their health be severely, even lethally, impacted. Dogs can do well on a wide range of protein levels, etc., but cat's cannot.

pitbulllady

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got this idea becuase my grandmas cat had gotten severe dental disease, and only has 3 teeth left. She almost died from starvation and a severe infection, due to my grandma waiting 2 years to fix the problem and bring her to the vet. :evil:

Anyway, after her teeth were pulled and infection went away she started eating again. My grandma was to told to ONLY give her wet food and water for the rest of her life, thats it. She quickly put on weight, but when I came over I offered her some of those Whiskas treats becuase in the past she was a food hound she loved those treats, and she gobbled them up right away and was able to gum them so she wasnt swallowing whole kibble. With normal dry food, she swallowed it whole, and you could see she had difficulty swallowing it.

I havent met a cat who hasnt eaten those whiskas treats yet. With the canned food, this special food would be more than enough nutrition, as most cats with this dental issue dont ever eat dry food again so i'm told. They need to change that and make it available again.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
or you could just put them on a natural diet of ground meat, etc..

Unless the cat is like my maine coon and will only eat kibble. (eukaneuba hair ball formula)
You can put cheese, milk, fish, eggs, baby birds, and mice to his nose and he won't even take a nibble, or give a bored stare (like what the heck is ??)
lol he doesnt even like treats.

He loves stinky stuff though ... as in chewing on dads old socks lol