Idea for a substrate experiment.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Substrate is a somewhat controversial topic. I have an idea for an experiement.

Provide a tarantula with several different types of substrate, side by side ,and see where it is most of the time. This would probably be best for an obligate burrower/fossorial species.

Any suggestions/ideas?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You need multiple repetitions. Other than that it sounds like a good idea.
Or multiple spiders, same species, at the same time. It'd probably also be best to standardize as much else about the tanks as possible, and have hides across all substrate zones---that way you don't have spiders picking an area for something other than the substrate.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think if I was going to run this experiment I would make sure to include at least 100 Ts. I would use Cyclosternum fasciatum because you can get them fairly cheap. Then lets say you wanted to try 3 different substrates I would take the 100 and divide them into three groups and make sure to drop each group on an appointed substrate because there is a chance they might not move very far depending on on how big the cage is you are using. So you never know they might just look for the easiest spot to burrow instead of the best spot. I would also make sure you put water dishes on each substrate because they may build a burrow in the section with water if there is only one section with water.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would also make sure you put water dishes on each substrate because they may build a burrow in the section with water if there is only one section with water.
Thats not a good idea . There has been reports of water bowls falling down on they're burrows crushing them , or trapping them . But I think if you put 3 different types of substrate , that would be a good idea . I would pick H. lividum :D

tarantulagooroo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My P. Irminia has burrowed under her water dish, I am a little scared that will happen.... but I don't think you need 100 T's maybe 12? devide them into 4 groups

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My P. Irminia has burrowed under her water dish, I am a little scared that will happen.... but I don't think you need 100 T's maybe 12? devide them into 4 groups
I think your right lol . 100 ts isnt needed . 12 is much better and cheaper :D

super-pede

Arachnobaron
4 types of substrate,1 in each corner.there should be some kind of divider that divides the tank into 4 sections.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
4 types of substrate,1 in each corner.there should be some kind of divider that divides the tank into 4 sections.
Thats what I was thinking . Wouldnt the 4 different types of substrate mix together without dividers ?

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Thats what I was thinking . Wouldnt the 4 different types of substrate mix together without dividers ?
most likely.and I would go with trapdoors,not tarantulas.or if there was a tarantula to be used,I'd go with a dwarf species.

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats not a good idea . There has been reports of water bowls falling down on they're burrows crushing them , or trapping them . But I think if you put 3 different types of substrate , that would be a good idea . I would pick H. lividum :D

Please just stop.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think the water dishes I use are much lighter then other peoples then :? I have been trying many different water dishes and have decided that the ones I like best are just the little condiment cups fast food places use. I was using bottle caps befor that but I was worried some of my Ts my scratch themselves and bleed so I switched.

Do you know what kind of substrate you want to try out? Im guessing some of them may be mixes. I like 50/50 with moss and coco fiber.

I also think the larger the amount of Ts you work with the better your data will be. you can get 10 1" C. fasciatum for $80 not a bad deal if you ask me.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
This is a neat idea :)

Things to consider:

1 - If you are looking for substrate preference then each spider must have access to each different substrate.

2 - all other factors must be the same for each area of substrate:
- moisture (humidity)
- light
- temperature
(this is crucial if you want the T's choice to reflect substrate alone )