Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Idaho Scorpion

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by olablane, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Advertisement
    I'm going to guess P. boreus link

We get those over in Oregon, too. If you find more don't keep them together.

2. I think its some kind of paruroctonus or vaejovis.

3. olablane

olablane Arachnobaron

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I appreciate your help!

4. ~Abyss~

~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

thats a Paruroctonus boreus.

5. pandinus

pandinus Arachnoking Old Timer

the proportional size as well as the shape of the chela seem to be very indicative of parauroctonus, and as the only one listed in your state is p. boreus that would be my guess. i apologize if thats a little too deep an explanation, but i always make sure to state my rationale whenever trying to id a specimen, as just a guess with no supporting evidence can sometimes be misleading. I've never had the pleasure of working with this particular species, but of all the north american scorpions, this genus is definitely one of my favorites. they are lots of fun, and a great jumping off point into the world of scorpions.

John

6. olablane

olablane Arachnobaron

Thanks Pandinus and Abyss. You are the only two people other than my sons science teacher to agree on a species. He said the same as you. He saw it in person so I am assuming that is what it is. Thanks.
    I will never figure out how to pronounce thes names!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. ~Abyss~

~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

It okay i say the names as what i read them as first glance. It's rare you ever say it out loud. Oh and sorry for not giving you an in dept explanation to why it's P.boreus. I was gonna show you pics and all but I'm at work and answer most of my post as quick as possible. But i think John pretty much covered all my loose ends.

8. pandinus

pandinus Arachnoking Old Timer

the name would be pronounced para(like parachute)ur(you're)octo(like octopus)nus bor(like bore)e(long e sound)us. a little confusing, but i hope this helps some. the best thing is usually just to look close at the word and sound it out

John

9. Hmm, maybe I should have given my rationale for saying P. boreus as well? :)

I have one.

10. olablane

olablane Arachnobaron

Guess what? I didnt even notice what you had written. So sorry! How big do they get?

11. Haha, no worries. :) They're not too big -- only about an inch and a half to two inches.

(Actually, I don't have one anymore -- in the time between posting this morning and posting now, I sold her :p )

12. Vidaro

Vidaro Arachnobaron Old Timer

I thought boreus also but when i was searching they are not reported to be found in idaho so i figured i must b wrong.

13. My brother used to find scorps all the time when he went to job corps near Boise. That was back in the early eighties, so maybe the population has dwindled, but back then they were plentiful. He even brought a couple home with him.
    They looked like Anuroctonus phaiodactylus.
    Cheers

I love lentils. Great protein when you don't eat meat. (don't like the extremely and unecessarily cruel commercial slaughter practices) Nice to know where they come from. Since I'm in puget sound I'm guessing we get your lentils here.

14. Gnat

Gnat Arachnoknight

Mocknbird2
    why is it we are resurrecting a 4 year old thread? a thread that died 2 years before you joined?

15. ijmccollum

ijmccollum Arachnosquire

UT
    I am glad MocknBird did, I didn't know there were scorps in Idaho.........I feel so uninformed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.